Talk

Advanced search

How to encourage children to have an active lifestyle?

(10 Posts)
Rollermum Mon 07-Dec-15 22:28:01

My DD is only small (2) but thinking to the future, what are your recommendations for encouraging a healthy lifestyle? What activities do you do as a family?

We don't have a garden, but do live near lots of nice outside spaces and parks. I am large (though wasn't as a child - now have hypothyroidism), but I do work out at home and play roller derby (when not pregnant).

ashmaster Mon 07-Dec-15 22:38:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Husbanddoestheironing Mon 07-Dec-15 22:43:53

Make activity a big part of your life too. I don't just mean as a family but as individuals and show that you enjoy it and are committed to it. My DH is very sporty and it has definitely 'rubbed off' on our two, they are extremely active all the time and do loads of sports. I do an average amount of sport (i.e. only a little bit) but walk nearly everywhere I can as a matter of course.

lilwelshyrs Mon 07-Dec-15 22:44:33

Get your kids to engage in activities you enjoy together like the roller skating... Maybe not as a 2yo though!
My DS (4 weeks old!) is going to be up at the stables with me on a daily basis so hopefully that'll keep him active! I also want to go swimming with him when he's old enough.
Going to local parks is good smile and on lots of walks too! We have a dog so DS comes out for dog walks too (in a sling).

AalyaSecura Mon 07-Dec-15 22:48:35

I think being 'all weathers' as a family helps - walking to preschool / nursery / school even if it's raining, playing and being outside in colder weather.

ashmaster Mon 07-Dec-15 22:48:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueChampagne Tue 08-Dec-15 12:57:06

Walking and cycling as a means of transportation. Swimming is a life skill so invest in lessons if you can.

Junior park run is only 2k if there's one near you.

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 08-Dec-15 13:15:08

Leading by example has to be the best way as other have said waking or cycling as a normal mode of transport, getting out & about at the weekends and seeing parents involved in (& enjoying) regular exercise. My parents weren't sporty at all and it was only in my 40's that I discovered a love of exercise . my 9 year old now joins me in triathlons, park runs & weekend bike rides and my youngest has been cycling to school since he was 4 and now age 6 wouldn't think twice about walking the 2 miles into town or doing the 5 mile family cycle route at our local country park.

carrie74 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:51:55

I agree with everyone else, not only do stuff as a family (so go out on family bike rides - initially with her in a seat, then a tag along until she's ready to do it herself), but also ensure they see you exercising as part of your normal routine. My kids see H playing football twice week, plus running at least once week (either outside, or we recently bought a treadmill for the garage). They know I see a PT fortnightly (and they come if the day falls during school holidays - yesterday my son came with me as he was off school with a cough), and they see me work out with weights or go for a run at home.

I can't say that either of my kids are particularly sporty (much to H's despair - he was super-sporty as a child, regularly competing for his county), but they play tennis regularly (youngest goes three times a week at the moment - he's no budding Murray, but he enjoys it, which is all I want of them), and are happy going out at the weekend on bikes or a long walk.

BlueChampagne Thu 10-Dec-15 14:55:50

Well said carrie enjoyment is more important than achievement! Let them try something new if they're not enjoying what they're doing. And the same goes for the adults! You could consider what you would like to try, then start it together in due course?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now