Talk

Advanced search

what are the best diet/fitness monitoring apps?

(7 Posts)
Wordsmith Mon 07-Dec-15 21:08:03

I am trying out Myfitnesspal at the moment but tried to log my pilates class only to find it doesn't understand what pilates is! Tried 'Yoga' instead and it still found nothing. Also not sure if the calorie recording is completely accurate as it's telling me I still have about 600 calories left out of a low allowance of 1480 per day. Before I consume 2 Mars Bars, can anyone recommend a good meal/exercise tracker along similar lines, preferably free and not requiring me to purchase a £70 'tracking' device' to nake it work?

thedevilinmyshoes Tue 08-Dec-15 15:15:04

the best monitoring app is your body really, it will tell you sooner or later what's going on as you become more flexible/stronger/leaner (or the reverse!)

you can add your own exercises on mfp, under 'create exercise' if you want a record of what you've done each day, you could come up with a rough estimate of calories burned or log it as 1 calorie - depending what you want from it

thedevilinmyshoes Tue 08-Dec-15 15:16:10

Yoga is in the database - think it comes up as Yoga, Hatha, stretching (gentle) something like that

AngelicCurls Wed 09-Dec-15 16:06:32

Pilates is in the database, under cardio

lljkk Wed 09-Dec-15 17:18:21

I just watched some Pilates videos on youtube, including the "Advanced workout!"

Hard to imagine pulse rate raised much, seems misclassed as "cardio", sorry!! (Give me hard circuit training any day)

MrsHarveySpecter Fri 11-Dec-15 00:13:53

My MIL lost 8 stone using MFP and found just logging food best. If you log exercise you may be tempted to eat back those calories as opposed to creating a greater deficit. Good luck!

chipsandpeas Sun 20-Dec-15 22:02:13

i dont log exercise on my fitness pal at the moment tho im not even logging food its too easy to eat the exercise calories especially if you know you have burned a lot off
sometimes i do go over my calorie allowance slightly mainly on a cardio day where i would burn about 500 calories, going over by about 200 isnt that bad imo
i also have a fitbit charge hr that monitors my exercise more accurately than the my fitness pal suggests has been burned ie MFP said i burned about 700 calories doing a zumba class...whereas the fitbit says about 500 which i would rather believe, better to underestimate exercise caloires than overestimating - plus i believe the charge hr is more accurate as its monitoring my heart rate, and i am getting roughly the same amount per zumba class whereas mfp always gave the same amount

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now