Talk

Advanced search

runners belly...

(9 Posts)
BlueBlueBelles Sun 06-Dec-15 13:39:35

Is it just me?! I run regularly - around 3-5miles at a time, 2-3 times a week. But every time it gives me a really bad belly! I get home and I get cramps and need to go immediately, then another two or three times.

Is this usual? Is there anything I can do? It's beginning to annoy me now!!

lastqueenofscotland Sun 06-Dec-15 17:46:17

Yes very common.
But what are you eating/drinking? Lots of caffeine and fibrous food will not be helping you.
High carb low fibre is often recommended.

BlueBlueBelles Sun 06-Dec-15 19:04:14

I usually have shredded wheat in the morning, and if I'm running I have something like philli and crackers for lunch.

Today it was worse than usual, and I had yogurt and fruit for breakfast.

BlueBlueBelles Sun 06-Dec-15 19:04:36

And I do drink a fair bit of tea, but not usually as much in the morning if I'm running

P1nkP0ppy Sun 06-Dec-15 19:09:40

I had to give up running, it got so bad I was planning my route by public loos.
Nothing I did changed it sadly. I don't have the same problem with doing long distance walking.

Anglaise1 Mon 07-Dec-15 14:17:40

I sometimes get this, usually always during races at 22km+ , but sometimes on daily runs. I'm quite happy to do a Paula R and go anywhere hidden (I live in the counryside so its easy! but if you want to avoid it Lastqueen is right, a diet of low or no fibre is recommended. No fruit and veg or fibre of any kind, and high carb (white carbs only).
In the morning before you run either don't eat or eat white toast with something like honey (no jam!).
I did my first longish race yesterday without cramps for the first time but I ate nothing but pasta and ham the day before. Boring but it worked.

thedevilinmyshoes Tue 08-Dec-15 15:20:20

my brother had a really bad problem of pooing himself during races (only I am allowed to laugh at him about this) he can't eat any kind of wholegrain stuff so as Anglaise says, white rice, white pasta etc

I can't digest brown rice or pasta either but luckily have never had anything worse than moderate pain result from trying it

thedevilinmyshoes Tue 08-Dec-15 15:24:13

in the Run Britain rankings he is #1 for his postcode area so it's hard for me to sympathise envy

MrsMook Tue 08-Dec-15 22:21:09

The cramping from running was the trigger for me realising that I have a low tolerance for dairy and soya.

Reducing those in my diet, and occasional use of Buscopan has made a big difference to the interruptions to my runs.

I'm prone to IBS anyway, and there's food allergies and intolerances in my immediate family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now