Talk

Advanced search

heart rate while running

(16 Posts)
lljkk Fri 04-Dec-15 17:29:16

Has anyone tried to find their actual maximum heart rate, using a stress test like this?

Do target heart rate zones (aerobic, anaerobic, etc.) really achieve the things they say they do (like fat burning or endurance building etc)? Is that really how the physiology works for absolutely everyone?

If I knew my actual max. HR then I could maybe manage my runs for specific targets, though not sure I'm bothered. Just curious (scientific like).

suzannecaravaggio Fri 04-Dec-15 18:46:32

It's complicated...but a bit of internet research and reading should give you an idea.

I know my max hr from using a heart rate monitor while running...if you do the same you'd soon see what your max hr is smile

lljkk Fri 04-Dec-15 19:11:43

yeah, I am going to do that exercise with a HR monitor.
I'm reading lots of stuff online that doesn't really convince me that it's info worth knowing. Bit will keep me motivated for at least run, I suppose that is good thing.

I'm a bit scared about running my max for 3 minutes. Running at all is hard enough. Eek.

suzannecaravaggio Fri 04-Dec-15 22:01:22

I find it interesting to track heart rate because you can see improvements in fitness over time, as you get fitter heart rate is lower for any given amount of effort/output

also handy to track your resting heart rate (and much easier to measure) because that gets lower as your fitness improves.
Max heart rate doesnt change with training but you do need to be pretty fit to reach and sustain max heart rate

lljkk Fri 04-Dec-15 22:20:51

I will check back in once I do the exercise to see what maximum I can reach. Many yrs ago I had a maxHR well above my theoretical max, and from the 2 runs I have done recently with HRM it seems like I still do that.

I have been reading stuff about ways to train so that I might be able to go faster, HR zones might be useful for getting faster, but I am not going to take the 'rules' too seriously because I already know some of the rules don't suit me (ha!).

lljkk Fri 04-Dec-15 22:21:52

ps: I'm very curious what heart rates others are achieving, say your max & avg over 5km. And how old you are, too.

suzannecaravaggio Fri 04-Dec-15 22:35:22

my max hr is around 190
resting around 43
average hr running at 6mph over 20km is 145
I'm 50

lljkk Fri 04-Dec-15 23:12:40

Ah... so you break the rules of thumb too, for maxHR.
I'm 48. I think I'd die if I ran for an hour, lol.
Over 35 minutes running I seem to avg about 152 bpm.
Which is quite sustainable for me. If I ran any slower I'd be walking!!
I think my maxHR is near 185 & resting near 65.
Will get real numbers soon (ish).

Tuiles Fri 04-Dec-15 23:19:47

Does anyone know what happens if you increase your exercise rate when you have a naturally low hr - given that is meant to lower it further?
I'm not a big exerciser, but my resting rate is around 50 and has been known to settle around 43. I've been thinking about doing more intensive cardiac exercise, but am a bit worried what might happen!

suzannecaravaggio Sat 05-Dec-15 00:02:09

it was only when I took up running that I found out my heart could beat that fast, I was quite shocked, I assumed it would be around what it was 'supposed' to be for my age

There is such as thing as athletic heart syndrome Tuiles
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

but for most people I dont think there's anything to worry about, my hr is naturally low and goes lower if I do a lot of endurance training.
I guess go and see your dr if you're concerned?

lljkk Sat 05-Dec-15 08:58:39

DH was investigated for that heart syndrome. For him doesn't mean anything bad, he's just fit!!

Resting HR goes down as cardiovascular fitness increases & this is almost always a good thing, Tuiles. Some elite male athletes get RHRs down to below 30.

suzannecaravaggio Sat 05-Dec-15 10:15:53

Is he a runner too lljkk?

lljkk Sat 05-Dec-15 14:21:27

mad cyclist!

rookiemere Sat 05-Dec-15 19:15:23

I love my heart rate monitor - just bought a new girly pink one recently as the old one had packed up after 10 years.

I'm 45, when I'm doing parkrun then my heartrate can go up to 171 - 174 in the last km, that would be me working flat out and I don't find it particularly enjoyable.

I use my monitor on training runs to cut back once it gets over a certain amount, or conversely if I'm walking on the treadmill to try and pick a speed that I can still read the kindle at, but gets my heart rate up to about 120 or so ( probably not recommended practice) but treadmill is awfully boring.

Tuiles Sat 05-Dec-15 22:52:02

Thanks for your assurances. I'm not particularly worried about the low rate per se as am otherwise fit and healthy. But I was a bit concerned about how low it could go!

I was quite excited to find a heart rate monitor on my new phone. No idea of it is accurate though!

lljkk Sat 09-Jan-16 10:34:45

update, I played with lots of paper & did many versions of field tests...

Could not get very consistent numbers for anything!!
So I turned to concepts like resting HR, heart-rate reserve, max HR & lactate threshold, perceived exertion. What should each one feel like, and what was the general kind of average number I was tending towards.

Also for me, the Zoladz formula on this page seems to come up with the right zones, the ones that "feel" right, & I can make useful when I do intervals or endurance training.

So I suggest explore & tinker with the ideas, then go with what works for U.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now