arthritic painful knees

(8 Posts)
FrustratedStepMum Sat 28-Nov-15 16:06:37

Has anyone got any advice on how to strengthen my knees? I do exercise but surely there must be some kind of specifics I can do to help my knees. I don't want to bug the NHS for physio and wait forever because I'm only 30 and surely I can help myself! The pages the doc printed out for me just seemed SO complicated! Any PTs out there? Thanks

ArgyMargy Sat 28-Nov-15 16:08:39

Try google it is your friend. There are loads of YouTube videos on how to strengthen your knees.

If you are in pain there is no need to avoid the NHS.

dragongirlx Sat 28-Nov-15 16:18:15

I have had arthritis in my knees since I was 13 I am now 39
. Walking and swimming are very good for them but you really need to bug your doctor for physio as it really can help no matter what age you are. The main thing is to keep active or it will get worse

justgoandgetalife Sat 28-Nov-15 16:18:41

I'm having physio for painful knees which I put down to getting older & developing arthritis ("I'm 52, so what did I expect" kind of attitude).

However after X-rays & initial visit to Physio, whilst all the knee cap / ligaments / muscles etc are all fine individually, my kneecaps are not tracking correctly and every running step hurts as the knee is effectively scraping over the bottom of the thigh bone. I'm doing exercises to strengthen the inner thigh muscles which had wasted, so that they help to pull my kneecaps back over to the correct position. That and some weekly physio to release tension in the legs, it's getting back to being pain free.

I have now been given the go ahead to run but only up to 20mins at a time as there's still a way to go. This has been developing for several years but had got to the point where I was taking painkillers before a run but then still nearly passing out with the pain!

Even at my age (& having been a regular runner since age 18!) I'm still learning the hard way to listen to my body!

justgoandgetalife Sat 28-Nov-15 16:20:16

Bottom line is...get thee to a Physio before it gets worse!

CoteDAzur Sat 28-Nov-15 22:01:58

"my kneecaps are not tracking correctly and every running step hurts as the knee is effectively scraping over the bottom of the thigh bone. I'm doing exercises to strengthen the inner thigh muscles which had wasted, so that they help to pull my kneecaps back over to the correct position"

This is exactly what I had less than 2 years ago. Strengthening inner thigh muscles is very difficult to do when you can't walk, go up or down stairs, squat, or lunge.

I started physio, realised that they are basically simplified yoga poses, and returned to yoga after many years. It has been brilliant for me - I went from not being able to walk to being pain-free and totally mobile in a couple of months.

Warrior poses are especially good to strengthen inner thigh muscles without moving the knees: Warrior I and Warrior II.

justgoandgetalife Sun 29-Nov-15 18:31:00

Cotedazure: will look it up but really want to get back running as no other exercise fits in with my lifestyle. If I sit down to do yoga I end up getting up to open doors for kids (& DH) who forgot door keys; answering phones; letting the dog out for a pee; get asked when's dinner ready etc! Will try it though - & make sure I'm in my bedroom with the door locked!

OP: how are you getting on?

FrustratedStepMum Sun 29-Nov-15 22:40:12

Thanks for your advice smile
Have only just had chance to read it been working all weekend hmm
I will make an appt with my doctors this week about physio, I live in a rural area so shouldn't have to wait too long smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now