Talk

Advanced search

Exercise recommendations and running clothing

(23 Posts)
Eyre89 Wed 18-Nov-15 08:39:18

Hi I'm currently on week 7 of couch to 5k. As the weather is awful could anyone tell me what clothing I should be wearing and where to buy the items where it won't cost a fortune. I have no clue what I should be wearing. I'm hoping to lose more weight so don't want to buy really expensive stuff yet If I can avoid it.

Leading to my second question. I have already seen my legs and arms get smaller and more toned. But I'm not seeing the same difference to my stomach. I am not used to carrying weight here but since becoming a mum I have. Could you recommend any exercises that would help with this alongside my couch to 5k? I've started to do some yoga but was thinking sit-ups/crunches? I'm making some adjustments to my diet which will help.

Thank you

lastqueenofscotland Wed 18-Nov-15 13:26:31

Karimore is cheap, is known as krappimore in some circles and I find the bottoms are ruuuubbbbish but the tops are ok.

Primark running stuff I'm strangely impressed by!

TriJo Wed 18-Nov-15 13:28:27

A good sports bra and appropriate footwear are the most important things - apart from that everything else is personal choice. Cheap items from Sports Direct, Primark or Matalan etc will do for now and won't break the bank.

Basic strength training complements running very well - there are a lot of programs available online (Starting Strength, Strong Curves, New Rules Of Lifting For Women etc) and things like kettlebell or Body Pump Classes, pilates or bodyweight strength exercises at home will really help too. Pilates really helps the core too.

CMOTDibbler Wed 18-Nov-15 13:38:18

I started off with stuff from Sports Direct, and tbh my Karrimore running tights aren't bad. In the rain, a thinnish fleece top/jacket works pretty well as long as its not pouring as you don't get the boil in the bag effect of a waterproof.

Start Fitness are good for cheap stuff too, and I like the Aldi running stuff when they have it in.

I'm fussy about running shoes, socks, and bras and not much else though!

carrie74 Wed 18-Nov-15 23:06:21

I've been really impressed with GapFit recently, which can be bargainous when they're doing one of their many deals.

I rarely run outside these days, but in the cold/wet, I tend to wear long running tights, a thin vest under a LS top and a headband to cover my ears (I get horrible ear pain with any tiny breeze). It's enough to battle drizzle, but full on pouring I'd probably wait (also would be worried about getting phone and headphones wet!).

And absolutely agree most important kit is shoes.

lastqueenofscotland Thu 19-Nov-15 07:08:13

I'd defo agree with the others about shoes. I'm a saucony/Adidas fan girl there and spend a fortune and do cringe when I see people out running in crap trainers

Eyre89 Thu 19-Nov-15 07:43:05

Oh thank you lots of good tips. I'll have a look at them now. Yeah I think I'd hate wearing a waterproof for that reason CMOT (sorry don't know how to tag)

I have a decent sports bra which is good. Shoes I imagine are going to cost a decent amount to be worth it. Would you recommend going to a running shop for an assessment or will decent shoes be enough?

I'm actually really enjoying it which I didn't expect and don't want any excuses as the weather gets rubbish. Thank you.

MrsMook Sat 21-Nov-15 14:23:13

Long sleeved t-shirt and a windproof jacket are very useful.
Hats and gloves are good for temperature control and can be regular items.
Have something bright and reflective for safety. Lots of cheap arm bands etc around.

I started C25k at this time of year, and as I've realised running is a long term hobby, I've upgraded gradually as I started off in my hiking clothes.

Allgunsblazing Sat 21-Nov-15 14:53:06

Been running for a year and a bit now. Most of my gear comes from Lidl. The shoes come from m&mdirect (saucony)
I have 3/4 trousers, a t-shirt and a hoodie. No waterproofs. I have been running in the rain, it's fine, just be careful at the wet leaves, they're rather slippery. Enjoy.

Allgunsblazing Sat 21-Nov-15 14:57:02

Oh, and I do pilates and shred once a week, running twice (3 times if I am on holiday/off that week)

lljkk Sat 21-Nov-15 15:00:38

rain I could handle but driving rain due to 40mph gusts, I'm not so good. <<Shiver>> as I settle more deeply into sofa.

KittyandTeal Sat 21-Nov-15 15:05:07

I get my running stuff from jd or tk maxx or sometimes I'll treat myself to a sales Nike something.

I also do Zumba and the 7 min workout for strength/core. I done Zumba is great for my middle.

whatdoIget Sat 21-Nov-15 15:05:09

I've got some aldi running tights that were reduced to £3.49!
Also a regatta breathable and waterproof cagoule from Amazon about £15. Trainers from decathlon, I think they were about £40.

Bumply Sat 21-Nov-15 15:06:05

If you've not got proper running shoes yet I'd suggest going to a running shop this time. Try on all different brands and have your gait checked out so you know if you're neutral or over or under pronate and what style you feel comfortable with.
It'll be expensive, but once you find a type that suits you can buy similar brand/style next time from Internet.
Decent sports bra, but otherwise I use sports direct and see what's in the sales.

ThatsNiceDear Sat 21-Nov-15 17:46:47

I just upgraded my old crap (any old leggings/t-shirt) for some nice new karimore stuff from Sports Direct. I thought it was good tbh, it does the job and is affordable (but I haven't been running very long).

I ran in a long sleeve 'base layer' top today, with a lightweight waterproof jacket over the top, full length leggings and a hat. I was really pleased I'd bought that stuff in the week, as it was bloody freezing on my run today and I really needed it.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 23-Nov-15 05:53:04

I love Nike stuff, have had some for years. It washes and wears very well.

Karrimor is very good value, I have a few bits which are great for the money.

In the cold I wear a short sleeve top under a long sleeve top, long tights, hat and gloves. I do have a cheap jacket but it's a bit like a plastic bag, I sweat buckets in it and it makes me colder!

sweetvparsley Mon 23-Nov-15 06:57:40

I'm a bit nesh and hate being cold so I was really pleased when I managed to get 2 merino base layers from Aldi. On Saturday I wore both the long and short sleeved tops and put my cycling arm warmers on for good measure.

confusedandemployed Mon 23-Nov-15 07:03:30

Another vote for good shoes and bra. I tend to go to a running shop each time but I've got a horrible bunion which needs reassessing every few months. You should go at least once to get your gait analysed though.
I have quite a bit from Lidl clothes-wise, and I recently bought a great pair of bottoms from Primark. Otherwise I pick stuff up when I see it - Matalan can be good, Nike /Adidas outlet centres too.

confusedandemployed Mon 23-Nov-15 07:05:31

WRT mum-tum - you can't spot-reduce unfortunately. Keep up the running, maybe mix your exercise up a bit (Zumba, body pump, interval / hill running, circuits etc) and do core exercises or Pilate's. Once the fat starts to shift you will at least have toned up the muscles underneath.

Thefitfatty Mon 23-Nov-15 07:07:33

In regards to your tummy, please make sure you do not have diastasis recti before you do any tummy exercises! Sit-ups, crunches, some yoga poses, etc can make diastasis recti worse.

You can do a home check like this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzIrt82maws

BikeRunSki Mon 23-Nov-15 07:26:59

Definitely running shop for shoes. Different brands, styles and models fit different people differently, though many will be "decent" shoes. I get fitted properly every couple of years, and buy other shoes in the interim online. I find some right bargains in M&M Direct!

A good high impact sports bra is also essential.

Merino wool socks will keep your feet warm in the winter. merino socks. A merino base layer will also be well worth the investment. Many at Wiggle, although my favourites come from howies.

Gloves, waterproof, leggings - from anywhere. Sports Direct, TK Maxx, Wiggle. Aldi stuff is excellent - grab it when it is available. Wiggle online, Nike, New Balance, Adidas outlet shops.

If you don't like a full on waterproof jacket, then maybe try a Gilet, which will keep the worst of the weather off without being too constricting or sweaty. Mine's probably my most well used bit of kit.

fufulina Fri 27-Nov-15 23:25:04

I run in DH's cast off Nike running tights. He bought them in 2010.
He trained for a marathon in them. They must have been washed 100 times and they are brilliant. Expensive but worth it.

Also karrimore tops from sports direct really good.

Runners need for gait analysis. I have Brooks trainers.

But agree with pp - bra and shoes are key. Everything else is a nice to have.

BlueChampagne Sat 28-Nov-15 23:08:22

Agree re shoes and bra. But don't forget that 'boil in the bag' is a jockey's means to weight loss (see Clare Balding's book). I'd rather be hot than cold. Less likely to get injured. Put running stuff on your Christmas list?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now