Talk

Advanced search

Weights routine at home - HELP

(8 Posts)
MamaTeeTee Wed 28-Oct-15 10:27:34

I currently run 3/4 mornings a week. I usually run between 5 and 9 miles. I'm keen to add some weights into my routine but due to DH going to the gym in the mornings, I need to do it at home anyway. I have the space for equipment but I'm a complete novice. DH Is a weight lifter so he can help me with my form etc but what he does is way above my abilities.
Can anyone help? I have no idea what to do or where to start. I have about 40 mins spare 2/3 mornings a week. I'm happy to spend money on equipment.
Tia

bolshieoldcow Wed 28-Oct-15 10:42:30

I like kettlebells - you can do loads and don't need lots of different parts. Lots of videos on youtube to get started with. Also you can get good results with bodyweight exercises alone. Try "Body by You" (ignore the cheesy title!) by Mark Lauren for some ideas.

There's tons of excellent advice for getting started and getting inspired here: www.stumptuous.com - and women-oriented to boot.

suzannecaravaggio Wed 28-Oct-15 10:54:58

Your partner should know enough about the basic principles of strength training to help you

sleepwhenidie Wed 28-Oct-15 11:22:29

Kettlebell training is amazing but I think you need proper instruction on technique to get you started. What are your goals wrt to weight training? Is it intended to improve your running and reduce chance of injury for example, or do you want to focus on building strength and muscle for other reasons? What kind of weight training appeals? Body weight training can be fantastic and (obviously) needs little or no equipment, you can find lots of DVD/online workouts with dumbells/kettle bells, (for example JM Shred isn't a bad place to start if you are a beginner), if you are intent on lifting heavy then doing this at home can become tricky quite quickly without some serious kit...benches and racks for barbells for example.

chrome100 Wed 28-Oct-15 12:34:09

I have 2 kettlebells, one is 6kg and one is 8kg.

I do a half hour routine with them 4 mornings a week with different exercises, interspersed with press ups, sits up and star jumps.

I am sure your DH can help you with precise exercises, I've just kind of made mine up based loosely around classes I've attended in the past.

I have found them really good for toning and because I don't have to leave the house to go to the gym I've kept up the routine for over a year now.

CadiM Wed 28-Oct-15 19:13:27

Fitness Blender have lots of weight / strength training videos on their site (or on youtube), for use with dumbbells and /or kettlebells.

iMatter Wed 28-Oct-15 19:18:08

Yy kettlebells are fantastic. I have 2 X 8, 1 x12 and 1 x16. I've been using them for about 3 years now and it's made a huge difference to my strength, fitness and tone.

suzannecaravaggio Wed 28-Oct-15 20:41:59

wrt equipment TRX (or a less expensive analogue of it) is worth looking into imo although there's a lot you can do with just bodyweight

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: