Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

PiYo

(24 Posts)
CookieDoughKid Tue 20-Oct-15 22:41:46

I've recently discovered PiYo (from Beach body)/and think it's brilliant. Far less stress on my joints compared to others like Insanity but incredibly tough to do well too. Anyone else doing it?

psychotropic Wed 21-Oct-15 12:22:17

What is it? Like Pilates and yoga?

CookieDoughKid Wed 21-Oct-15 22:14:39

That's right. It's a combination of the two but it's fast and intense. I work out x3 a week and do 8k runs weekly so I'm pretty fit. This is by far my most enjoyable exercise without it being high impact. I hate yoga and Pilate's, too slow and boring and because I'm very flexible (I can do the splits), I don't feel much benefit in it. With PIYO, the moves are very intense and sculpting. I feel my 6pack has come along with more definition because of it!

PacificDogwod Wed 21-Oct-15 22:23:41

Wow, looks amazing - thanks for mentioning this here grin

psychotropic Wed 21-Oct-15 22:52:21

It's quite expensive (for someone like me who can't even touch their toes lol) I'm tempted by the fat burning claims though. How long were you doing it before you noticed the fat loss?

CookieDoughKid Wed 21-Oct-15 23:38:44

I would say about 4 weeks. For me, not so much about fat loss but more about toning. Tummy, back of legs, thighs. I sweat a lot during PiYo which I didn't believe the claim of calorie burning given it is low impact and not much cardio. But you move fast, hold each pose for 5 to 10seconds in a sequence. The pose themselves can be challenging. Lots of frontdiagonal lunges (but no jumps) that sort of thing. This is great for rehab due to low impact but still feel like you get a workout. You know it's a good class when the FIT bods turn up. I say good for beginners but you'd want to work up to PiYo or go for the low intensity moves during each pose.

CookieDoughKid Wed 21-Oct-15 23:41:37

I'm slim so I don't need the fat loss but need the toning in certain places. If you were to do piyo for fat loss, you would get that especially if you do three times a week coupled with a HEALTHY low sugar diet. I eat more fat now.. Like nuts, advocado, real butter. And trying to cut down on processed junk especially sugary snacks.

psychotropic Wed 21-Oct-15 23:58:53

Thanks for the additional info. I ordered it while you were posting, they tried to sign me up to all kinds of extra stuff like monthly vitamins lol! Sorry I did sort of mean toning by fat loss - as in greater muscle definition/visible separation between muscles by losing some of the fat between them and the skin.

psychotropic Thu 22-Oct-15 00:07:55

My arms and legs look amazingly defined if I do say so myself grin but there's like over a stone of excess tubbiness round my middle that wasn't there a couple of years ago <sob>

psychotropic Fri 23-Oct-15 10:11:03

It's coming today! Do I need to get a yoga mat? shock

OneHandFlapping Fri 23-Oct-15 10:31:56

What did you order Psychotropic ? And how much did it cost? I had a look and it seemed to be £110 which is rather a lot.

(D)H has thrown away my Shred DVD, which I used once all the time, so I need another exercise DVD to gather dust on the shelf

psychotropic Fri 23-Oct-15 10:39:01

I don't know how much it was actually, the checkout process was a series of hoops to jump through (no I don't want this extra workout, wtf no I don't need those sliding discs thanks, no don't subscribe me to a monthly multivitamin lol!) I will check but I know I paid extra for express delivery so will probably find that yodel have left it in next door's compost bin grin

psychotropic Fri 23-Oct-15 10:40:48

Ok the order confirmation says:

Chalene's PiYo workout package + 4 FREE GIFTS (billed 3 x £19.95)

psychotropic Fri 23-Oct-15 10:43:54

There's some kind of refund offer, your money back if you hate it and can be bothered to return the DVDs.

OneHandFlapping Fri 23-Oct-15 10:44:50

That is pricey! The shred is £5.99 on Amazon.

psychotropic Fri 23-Oct-15 10:49:01

But do you get free presents of a special fat melting measuring tape, a workout for your underperforming glutes, dietary advice and 24/7 online support with the shred? grin

CookieDoughKid Fri 23-Oct-15 13:12:26

Give it a good and see how you get on. If you don't like it, you can sell it on or get a refund as PIYO is going to be the next big thing. I do Bodyvive/Insanity/Barrecore and Body attack (all at a gym club though) and I love PIYO the best. Great for when you need a less crazy workout compared to Insanity but you still get a decent workout. Personally, I hate wasting time on mild workouts as I feel I'm just moving but not really exercising.

CookieDoughKid Fri 23-Oct-15 13:12:57

Yes. Need a mat but nothing else

psychotropic Fri 23-Oct-15 22:08:11

Thanks smile I can see why I need a mat, I used a towel and it wasn't exactly grippy on laminate floor! I've only done the first one, Align, which is a lot of not very demanding standing around lol and then trying out some poses, one of them burned my hip flexors almost as savagely as Bulgarian split squats but without any weights and doing hardly any reps shock I have issues with the PiYo flip though! Not sure if it's a balance or flexibility problem or if I just need to work on it!

The only classes I do regularly are spin on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings and the circuits group mid-week and I found it hard to watch the screen and copy the moves at the same time but think I'll get it ok. She's great, I love her. Such a perky cheerleader! And I like the totally hairless weirdly flexible man too!

HairsprayQueen Fri 23-Oct-15 22:14:43

Nothing to do with piyo but I often enjoy Chalene's podcasts when I'm feeling a bit meh, she can be quite motivating!

tass1960 Fri 23-Oct-15 22:21:16

I do PIYO at a studio - am not loving it but think it will grow on me - the instructor isn't the best though - she forgets the moves ?? I'm loving T25 just now and do that at the same studio but with a different instructor - I'm getting great toning result from that ...

psychotropic Sat 24-Oct-15 12:05:38

I'd love to try it in a studio mainly for the mirrors so I can see if I'm doing it right but she's really good at explaining how it should feel and which bit of you should be angled where. It's actually really confidence boosting! Who knew I could balance so well on one leg for so long lol!

I think it works out at about 3 cumulative hours a week (if you follow the workout calendar which I intend to) made up of 8 different workouts - the equivalent of two or three classes but with more variety and less inconvenience? I'm really pleased with it so far.

CookieDoughKid Sat 24-Oct-15 15:35:39

T25 is good too. My cousin (male model and personal trainer --with a ridiculous 6 pack--) advises to mix up your exercise. So do a variety of classes/DVDs every week. Increase your metabolism and you'll burn more calories - even when sitting down watching the telly.

psychotropic Sun 25-Oct-15 10:57:11

Oh yeah, muscle confusion isn't it. Well my abs are really sore (in the good way) today which is odd because other than plank I don't think we've done anything to them for long enough yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now