Talk

Advanced search

Racing at midday

(10 Posts)
SoOverItNow Mon 28-Sep-15 15:30:37

I always run first thing in the morning. Early like 530am. My races usually start 9am

I have a half marathon next Sunday and have just noticed it starts at midday! I'd been looking at the 10k start when I booked. Aaaarghh!

I always run on empty then have big brekkie and loads to drink afterwards.

Can anyone give me suggestions of how to prepare for running a half at lunchtime?

Naicecuppatea Mon 28-Sep-15 15:34:46

I would have a good breakfast earlyish in the morning, around 8ish. It should include carbs and protein. Then plenty to drink during the morning. Not that I have done a half myself yet! Best of luck.

emummy Mon 28-Sep-15 15:55:20

I did a half 2 weeks ago which started at 12. I had my usual breakfast of granola, fruit and yoghurt at 8, then some fruit at 10:30, then just some fluid.

SoOverItNow Mon 28-Sep-15 15:56:50

Thanks.

I was thinking of having breakfast early but I'm a bit worried about drinking during the morning in case I need loo stops.

It's only my second half marathon, I'm not very speedy, so every second counts!

RJnomaaaaaargh Mon 28-Sep-15 19:39:33

Is it the Glasgow one?

saltlakecity Mon 28-Sep-15 20:47:31

Have a good sized bowl of porridge about 8am. Then a snack bar or banana about 10.45ish. Lots to drink between 8-10am. Then only sips after that. It's a good time to run.

Knackerelli Mon 28-Sep-15 21:25:35

I recently did Vyrnwy which started at 1. Like you, I'm a morning runner and all my races have been at 10. I had dippy eggs and soldiers at 8 then cups of tea. Couldn't handle anything then till after when I had a sandwich, crisps, sausage roll....!

SoOverItNow Tue 29-Sep-15 14:14:38

Yes it's the Glasgow one RJ. I think they changed the times after I booked my place last year.

knackerelli that's helpful. I was thinking eggs for breakfast they seem to make me feel fuller longer than porridge.

So have breakfast at 8, drink until 10, last loo visit 11.15, race at 12, hit Glasgow Gregg's wearing my medal grin

Does that sound about right?

SoOverItNow Tue 29-Sep-15 14:17:05

Good to hear that Saltlake. I have no time left to find that out in training runs, so I'll be keeping those words close to my heart this weekend!

RJnomaaaaaargh Tue 29-Sep-15 14:55:01

Im pretty sure it was similar times two years ago. My dh is running it again this year too so I'll be there to cheer him on, I'll cheer you as well. You will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now