Suddenly finding running very hard?

(6 Posts)
Rhine Sun 30-Aug-15 11:33:29

I recently completed the Couch to 5k plan, and have moved on to Couch 5k +. At first I was doing really well, but for the last week or so Ive suddenly started to find it really difficult and am struggling to complete the runs.

I can't understand this as I was doing so well and feel so defeated. Is there anyway I can back on track? I thought of maybe changing my route or running for shorter periods for the time being?

I don't understand it at all?

MadFatRunner Mon 31-Aug-15 12:35:53

are you increasing both distance and pace? it needs to be one or the other at any given time

maybe a couple of shorter and/or slower runs might boost your confidence, dial back a bit?

SixtyFootDoll Mon 31-Aug-15 12:42:39

I've been running for years and it never gets any easier!
I have good weeks and bad weeks.

Sometimes a complete break is good, say a week off. When you start again you feel refreshed.

Change of routes is good, maybe join a local club?

suzannefollowmyvan Mon 31-Aug-15 14:01:07

I think it does get a bit easier, but over the long term (ie several months of regular & frequent running) and progress is not always linear.

I'd be inclined to slow right down and/or take more walk breaks, experiment with different routes.

MadFatRunner Mon 31-Aug-15 14:17:41

agree about routes, I have some that leave me feeling v revved up - eg I like a nice mixed terrain route that includes awkward bumpy grass or mud and finishes on smooth flat road - and some that are always a bit tough

but earlier this year running was suddenly v hard both at the time of the run in terms of perceived effort rating and recovery after it, turned out thyroid was ridiculously overactive so is just a thought but could be worth checking out

Rhine Wed 02-Sep-15 16:09:16

Ive cut back on my running time for now and am doing a more interval based plan, I've also changed my route. It feels a bit better, I will hopefully go back to the 30 min runs from next week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now