What is happening to me? Struggling with the running!

(22 Posts)
oneofthosedays Sun 23-Aug-15 13:30:40

I'm losing weight (5 stone and counting grin ) and decided to add in running to my regine in May this year. I signed up to a 10k race as bit of an incentive to keep at it and the event is in 3 week's time. Been running twice a week between 5-8k distance each time, I'm also doing 4-5 gym classes per week (combat and pump), with a low impact gym session replacing 1 class every other week. I've been comfortably doing these before I started running and have gradually added in the running from once to twice per week increasing the distance over time.

About 8 weeks ago I ran 9.3k and 3-4 weeks ago I did 10.9k, both really comfortable runs, so I assumed if I continued with my normal runs and got in another 10k before race day I would be fine. Except these last couple of weeks the runs have been really hard work, I am getting slightly faster (7.5min down to 6.5-6.75min average kilometre) but really hitting the wall around 6-7k distance and having to stop. It's so frustrating! Does anyone have any advice please? I'm getting a bit obsessed with getting a decent time in this event, maybe I need to take a step back and chill a little? Not sure. confused

oneofthosedays Sun 23-Aug-15 13:31:24

Sorry that's really long! Thanks in advance for any help or advice thanks

mollyonthemove Sun 23-Aug-15 14:03:38

I've been running for about three years now and every now and then I just 'can't' do it! recently I've found myself just really struggling to run more than about a k without feeling bloody awful! I realised I was going too fast - have slowed right down and while it feels odd it means I can at least go a bit further. Maybe try that??

mollyonthemove Sun 23-Aug-15 14:04:16

It's really tempting to get a good time but sometimes slower can be better grin

GarminGirl Sun 23-Aug-15 14:50:29

I'm going through similar! Can't run anymore than 2 miles before starting to hate it, and I trained for and ran London marathon this year!!

Maybe slow down a bit? Look at fuel?

lastqueenofscotland Sun 23-Aug-15 14:51:31

I am marathon fit and the other day literally couldn't run the 5 miles I planned and stopped after 1.45- it happens!

sweetvparsley Sun 23-Aug-15 16:41:37

Perhaps your body is telling you that you need to ease back. Sometimes that can lead to a jump in your times.

I have been working on my running for a sprint triathlon race but injured myself 3 weeks before. I recovered well enough to do the race but didn't get an amazing time. A week later though after easing back on my training I knocked over a minute off my 5k time on Saturday's parkrun. Try an extra rest day, it may be just what you need.

oneofthosedays Sun 23-Aug-15 17:18:03

Thanks for all the advice! Going to try taking it a little easier on my next run. Food wise I'm trying to be really concious of what I eat before I go out - porridge, fruit and plain yoghurt for breakfast etc. Maybe the weather had an effect this afternoon too as it was very warm, I was dripping when I got back and didn't know what to do with myself.

mollyonthemove Sun 23-Aug-15 18:16:45

Oh my, running in the heat shock I threw myself into the DS paddling pool the other day when I got back grin

suzannefollowmyvan Sun 23-Aug-15 21:24:23

I'd suggest running shorter distances more frequently, 3-4 times per week, dont worry about speed just run at an easy pace.

LadyBlaBlah Mon 24-Aug-15 12:18:46

I did a marathon this year and 2 half's and just mega running training apart from for the last few weeks when I've been cycling!

Did 15km yesterday and nearly died.

Think I'm a winter trainer. Like it better with wind rain and sleet battering my face

oneofthosedays Tue 25-Aug-15 18:46:11

I prefer a nice overcast day with a bit of rain to keep me cool. Running in full sun seems to just leech all the energy away!

shovetheholly Tue 25-Aug-15 20:57:08

I used to be a decent runner, and sometimes I found that easing right back on the training would actually lead to a performance improvement. It sounds all kinds of counterintuitive, but it is the reason most really elite runners (not me, ever) 'taper' towards races. I would suggest doing this towards your race. You don't need to run 10k three times a week to be able to put in a decent show on the day itself!

Don't underestimate how much more strenuous running distance is than just about any other exercise (bar perhaps swimming). Particularly if your run includes hills. I think you've added a lot of distance in quite quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if you're not just a bit knackered (technical term).

shovetheholly Tue 25-Aug-15 20:58:29

By the way - five stone?! Bloody hell! That's such an achievement!

Usernamegone Tue 25-Aug-15 21:42:21

Have you thought about following a 10k running programme? Most of the advocate one long slow run per week plus a shorter easy pace run/s plus a tempo run/s. It is also very important that you have at least one rest day per week (of rest or very light exercise) to allow you body to recover.

Sometimes I just struggle with running (for no apparent reason). I find that sometimes a week off (with very light or little exercise only) can really help me bounce back.

I did a park run a couple of months ago and had a shocker of a run where I was 2 mins behind my PB! Did a park run on Sat and I was 2.5 minutes faster than my last Parkrun and got a PB by over 30 seconds with no difference in training hmm

Congrats on losing 5 stone - that's amazing!

Iggly Tue 25-Aug-15 21:44:52

You need to have rest and recovery in your training. Also I've read somewhere that during certain times in your menstrual cycle it is harder to exercise - not sure of exact details

Usernamegone Tue 25-Aug-15 21:49:25

Just re-read your post. Maybe a running programme for next time?

You ar doing great as you can complete the race distance before race day. Maybe you need to start tapering a week or two before the race so that your legs are nice and fresh for race day.

Don't worry on race day the adrenaline and atmosphere will spur you on!

oneofthosedays Wed 26-Aug-15 15:21:33

Thanks for the advice, I think because up to now it the running has been so 'easy' if you like, I haven't really thought about the training itself in-depth. I do a good mix of weights, cardio classes and running I think and try to do an easy run during the week with a longer run on a Sunday morning. I'm also making sure I get the rest days in as well, exercising 3-4 times a week at the moment. My plan is to ease off closer to the event and hopefully I will be fine. TMI but got my period today which could explain a lot!!

What I think I will start adding in after my event is a run or treadmill programme with sprints/intervals - I did 30 mins on the treadmill a few weeks back and noticed my runs after that have been at a slightly faster pace so it seemed to do me good. I've seen this recommended a few times.

Thanks re the weight loss - it's been hard done over 3 years, and was quite off and on until April/May this year when I got my head down and got the food sorted and started losing regularly - another 3 stone to go to the upper end of my target but feeling really good at the moment!

suzannefollowmyvan Wed 26-Aug-15 17:15:37

great work Oneofthose star grin

LadyBlaBlah Thu 27-Aug-15 07:49:06

Ahhhhhhhh PMT and running don't mix well.

I have to factor this into training. 3-4 days a month, i schedule nothing in. No point for me, any exercise I do (except maybe yoga) is totally unenjoyable.

MrsMook Mon 31-Aug-15 08:47:31

A lot of longer term plans have a lighter recovery week every 4th week. Even C25k takes a step back halfway through before picking back up again.

OrangeSunset Sat 05-Sep-15 07:06:43

Definitely agree about not trying to improve speed on every run.
I was doing this back in the spring and feeling awful. I read up a bit and essentially you need to do most of your running really slow, say 80% of it, and then the remainder at a hard pace. That trains your body to burn fat, but then run anaerobically when things get really tough (say the last half of your race).
If you run at a medium intensity all the time, all that happens is you use your glycogen (ie current days fuel) and feel exhausted and hungry.
The science might be a bit more complicated than that, but I've slowed right up for most runs, and then do tempo/intervals to speed things up. Feel much better and did a really good half marathon time earlier in the summer.
Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now