Talk

Advanced search

Overweight and unfit - advice please!

(7 Posts)
VashtaNerada Mon 17-Aug-15 04:52:03

Hi, I'm after some advice on the best way to burn fat as someone with obese BMI finding even light exercise very hard work. My lifestyle means it's extremely hard for me to get outside to exercise (long working hours and childcare most evenings) although I should be able to get out to swim once a week (which in itself is terrifying because I doubt I'm fit enough to do more than a couple of lengths nowadays which would be mortifying blush)
I have a bit of time in the evenings when the DC are in bed so could do exercise bike / aerobics DVD / something on the Wii. I also walk a few times a week as part of my commute but it's currently painfully slow just because I'm so bloody fat.
I'm on holiday next week camping which sounds like the perfect opportunity to make a start but the DC are young and probably wouldn't cope very well on a long walk or anything.
Ang tips at all very welcome! Thank you.

VashtaNerada Mon 17-Aug-15 07:51:59

Bump! Hoping there's posters checking MN after a brisk morning run and a swim across the channel grin

TriJo Mon 17-Aug-15 11:25:18

There are always exercise bikes and treadmills going at a reasonably good price on Gumtree etc because people buy them with good intentions and they end up becoming an expensive clothes hanger. You could get one and use it at home while watching TV - pick a show and pedal away while it's on?

There are plenty of yoga and strength routines on Youtube as well - you could follow one of those from your laptop or tablet?

Keep the walking up too, it all adds up. Swim if you get the chance too - even if you can only do a couple of lengths at a time now, it will add up over time if you keep at it and when you've got extra weight hanging about it's nice to do something with no impact.

shovetheholly Mon 17-Aug-15 13:02:01

Hi OP, I am also really unfit and trying to improve. I used to be a hill runner, but then I got sick and really lost all my physical fitness.

Here's what I'm finding - and this is completely anecdotal, based only on my experiences, so won't be true for everyone!

- Running is too hard. I have tried running for one minute and walking. It is depressing. No matter how easy I take it, I find that I hurt the next day after doing a very short distance. I have come to accept that I need to build up some fitness before I start running again.

- Walking isn't enough. I live in a really hilly city, and I regularly march up and down quite steep slopes, to the point that I get breathless. It isn't actually doing much for my overall fitness - just maintaining me at a really basic level.

- Cycling is proving to be brilliant! I am an absolute beginner and real slow, but it is so much lower in impact than running that I can go out and burn a good 600-700 calories without aching like hell the next day. It also feels brilliant to cover the distance outdoors. However, I appreciate that's not so compatible with childcare, so maybe a stationery machine would work well?

- From training when I was fit, I believe that the quickest way to build your strength and stamina and general fitness is to do short bursts of really high intensity exercise, then recover, then do another burst. A workout that allows you to adjust intensity is good.

- Fitness trackers like the Fitbit can be really motivational! And they encourage you to build basic walking into your everyday routine, e.g. walking somewhere rather than driving. However, I reckon that you need to do exercise on top of the 10,000 paces to get fit

VashtaNerada Mon 17-Aug-15 13:34:11

Thanks both, that's really useful. Will definitely start up the swimming once I've bought some prescription goggles so I can see what I'm doing! I have been doing the exercise bike whilst watching TV but probably too slow. Will try to do it in short bursts of high energy instead.

suzannefollowmyvan Mon 17-Aug-15 14:55:20

Vashta, could you get a heart rate monitor and try and keep your heart rate in a certain zone when you are on the bike?
that way you can make sure you exercise at a slightly challenging intensity

VashtaNerada Tue 18-Aug-15 00:39:33

That's a good idea, will try to get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now