Advanced search

plantar faciatis

(10 Posts)
mintpoppet Thu 13-Aug-15 10:56:31

My feet have been acting up and I'm 99% sure I have plantar faciatis in both feet. My left has been sore for a while but very manageable and not too bad. I've ice rolled it, massage and ice bathed it on a semi regular basis which has helped.
My right has only just started playing up but it so much sorer than the other one. Very painful.
I know the answer is to stop running but I can't. My health depends on me being active as I've been inactive and overweight for too long. I've got a half marathon and a marathon walk soon. One in a month and the other in 6 weeks. I am desperate to do them even if it's crazily slow. What can I do? I am willing to rest them up after these events and swim instead but I've a month of training to get through and my right foot is killing.
Will physio help? I am absolutely gutted.

swooosh Thu 13-Aug-15 10:59:54

You can have them injected. I suffer sporadically but since switching to weights from cardio it's lessened a great deal. I found rolling a tennis ball under them helped a bit.

mintpoppet Thu 13-Aug-15 11:05:50

Thank you. Do you know if you can still run if you've had the injection? I've used a hockey ball to roll with which helps on my better foot but doesn't do anything for the more recent bad foot.

ArtyBat Thu 13-Aug-15 11:15:02

Try a foot pedi roller, you can get them from chemists. They're about 6" long, are ribbed, and cost around £5 - £6.
Just put them on the floor - preferably a non carpeted one - and roll your bare foot back and forth over it. I use one as a preventative now after suffering PF myself - but not through running.

What about cushioned insoles/ arch supports, have you tried these?

Hellionandfriends Thu 13-Aug-15 11:19:37

Have you had your gait checked?

My plantar thingie was linked to flat feet. It doesn't look like I have flat feet but my arch collapses when running. I now use bridge support from amazon

mintpoppet Thu 13-Aug-15 15:43:33

I've had my gait checked when going for trainers. I do have a pronation but have the right trainers for it. I briefly tried cheap arch supports but they hurt more.

differentkindofpenguin Thu 13-Aug-15 15:50:16

See a gp to get it properly diagnosed, take ibuprofen regularly ( if able) for a couple of weeks to reduce inflammation, and see a podiatrist. Decent insoles ( podiatrist will help you chose if you're not sure what to get) will help. You shouldn't need to stop running once you've sorted the pain and inflammation out!

Flower65 Thu 13-Aug-15 22:20:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mintpoppet Sat 15-Aug-15 20:23:43

Thank you. I've booked a podiatrist appointment for next week and I'll try to get to the doctors too.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 15-Aug-15 20:31:35

Lots and lots of hamstring and calf stretches. Also strengthen your feet by doing toe scrunches with towel/picking things up with your feet etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: