Talk

Advanced search

Tips for running in the dark

(16 Posts)
BreeVDKamp Sun 09-Aug-15 18:16:36

Not so much a problem in August, but I don't want to allow myself any reason not to keep running as the year progresses. Due to DH's working hours I'm only free to run after 8 or 9pm. Except for Sundays but I do hot yoga then smile

Any tips for staying safe while running in the dark? I've got some routes worked out that are all pavements, but not sure about street lights. Any good gadgets, safety garments etc that I should get?

addictedtosugar Sun 09-Aug-15 18:22:36

Bright, reflective clothing.
I know people who run with a head torch.
I run with a personal alarm, and tell DH where I'm going, and how late ng I think it will take.
Others run in a group, with a friend or find a running club.

Nowtherave Sun 09-Aug-15 18:24:11

I've got a headtorch, luminous clothing (including gloves) and some fantastic lights that sit on the heel of my trainers - they kind of clip on. DH got them in Sports Direct for me. Also run with 2 dogs which helps me feel safer! I love running in the dark - feels like flying! Good luck.

cathpip Sun 09-Aug-15 18:26:36

I love running in the dark, you have no idea how far you have gone/got to go smile, high vis vest and a decent head torch and mobile phone, dogs are an added bonus if you don't trip over them!!

lastqueenofscotland Sun 09-Aug-15 19:09:52

High Viz, head torch, light on your back, even if you aren't on roads in case you get lost/hurt. Take a phone.

Enjoy it! i used to leave running really really late.

mintpoppet Sun 09-Aug-15 19:32:35

In reality it's no more dangerous than running at any other time. Weirdos don't just come out because it's dark! I just run as I normally do.

mintpoppet Sun 09-Aug-15 19:33:07

Although I don't run in my local park in the dark as it's not lit.

tipp2chicago Sun 09-Aug-15 19:36:50

My friendly local Garda says to wear a referee's whistle when running in the dark, in case you need to scare someone off or attract attention.

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 09-Aug-15 19:42:14

Just started running so this is all very useful to me.

bikeandrun Sun 09-Aug-15 19:52:35

I feel safer out on the moors( I have a very good head torch) than I do in the city. On a cold rainy nights can't imagine any maniacs hanging out on the off chance. I normally run with a friend but I do go alone,( tell someone exactly where I am going) I also vary start points and times. If you use strava don't start it from leaving the door. Take reasonable precautions and get on with enjoying your run.

museumum Sun 09-Aug-15 20:11:59

I follow routes I know and stay aware of my surroundings. I don't run on roads but I know that not always possible in rural areas.

BreeVDKamp Sun 09-Aug-15 20:28:06

Oh God I didn't even consider maniacs!!!! shock I meant just traffic wise I guess. I'm a bit scared of the dark blush

Clippy shoe lights sound great! And a head torch. Got it.

Thanks keep em coming!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 09-Aug-15 20:34:51

Join a running club?

familygermsareok Mon 10-Aug-15 09:26:54

Getting a head torch last year opened up whole new running opportunities for me. I run on rural roads and trails, no pavements and almost no streetlights so I got a good head torch, Petzl, about £80 ( although there are both cheaper and also super duper more expensive options). I have reflective strips on clothes and a light to clip onto my back as well.
I love running in the dark and find I am aware of traffic early because of its lights so I just hop onto the verge. I tend to run early mornings rather than evenings though, so usually quiet and often meet nothing at all.
I don't really worry about getting attacked as very few people are around early morning and I don't think anyone would be lurking on the off chance but I wouldn't go through a park, I feel safer on roads.

chrome100 Thu 13-Aug-15 11:12:03

I run in the early mornings so also v dark in the winter but also very little traffic so I don't really bother with any lights or reflective clothing.

Sometimes I run off road with a head torch but I had a huge fall over a tree root last winter so have sort of lost the confidence a bit with that!

I could be attacked, yes - but if I am there's nothing I can do about that. No point worrying about something that probably won't happen and is out of your control anyway.

chamerion Thu 13-Aug-15 11:16:53

No headphones so you can remain aware of people/traffic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now