Talk

Advanced search

Do David Lloyd make it really difficult for you to leave?

(30 Posts)
bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 11:32:53

My membership runs out in November. And although I think it's a lovely gym and I have no complaints about it, it's very expensive. I mostly do body pump and spin classes, which I could easily do at another local gym which is also nice, a bit smaller and a lot cheaper! And also I don't use the spa facilities at all.

The thing I'm concerned about though is that I've heard they make it difficult for you to leave. Is this true? Do you just have to write a letter telling them you wish to cancel?

Nightboattocairo Fri 07-Aug-15 11:35:09

No' it wasn't difficult from me. I emailed and then to make sure I hand delivered a letter giving three months' notice, get a receipt - all done and dusted. I'm back now on a friends and family offer, could t afford it otherwise!

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 11:53:28

Thank you. I've just realised though that other gyms around me don't have nearly the same number of classes that are actually available which would make it difficult for me to attend. You can't win, eh?

Nightboattocairo Fri 07-Aug-15 11:57:08

Well, it's very nice but a real luxury. Very expensive and it's lunch etc afterwards too! More of a leisure club really.

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 12:07:48

I never eat there either though! I'm in, do the work out, shower and leave. One of the reasons I initially joined was so that my dd could have swimming lessons and use the kids club but those things aren't so necessary now either.

I think I will shop around and try to find a gym that has enough classes for me to be able to attend. I've heard that Virgin is very good and also cheaper, but unfortunately we don't have one of those in my town.

AuditAngel Fri 07-Aug-15 12:09:16

They made it hard for my husband, CS pounded by the original salesman making promises that were not recorded in their records. In the end we were sent to debt collectors for money we do not believe we owed.

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 12:11:46

Oh no sad see this is the kind of thing I'm worried about AuditAngel. How did that happen?

knickernicker Fri 07-Aug-15 12:16:25

I think I had to have been a member 1 or 2 years then give 3 months notice.

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 12:25:52

So, after the initial 12 months you don't need to sign up to another 12 months and can give 3 months notice?

Binit Fri 07-Aug-15 12:34:28

You need to put it in a letter and take the letter to reception. Dont post it. You must give the required amount of notice in your contract (possibly 3 months but I have heard of as many as 12 months shock).

Anyway be as nice as you can to the person at reception because they take a lot of shit off customers and they can be very helpful in this process. Ask them if they would mind signing and dating the letter and then sticking it in the photocopier so you can both have a copy.

You need to be very clear in the letter and look after the photocopy in case of problems. Snap a photo with your phone if they won't copy it.

I have a friend who works there. I also know someone who David Lloyd set the bailiffs onto because DL "lost" their cancellation letter.

If you cancel your direct debit prematurely they will chase you forcefully. Make sure you double check the exact date of the last payment and the exact last membership day with them so you don't get it wrong.

So do it carefully and double check everything.

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 12:37:56

Thanks for your suggestions Binit. I am always nice to people on reception anyway.

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 12:48:08

I've heard about people cancelling direct debits prematurely. I will need to use the gym until the end date anyway. I presume they give you the date of your last payment when you cancel?

AlwaysOutnumberedNevrOutgunned Fri 07-Aug-15 12:53:22

In writing, with confirmation of receipt etc and be prepared to be stiffed for the invented notice period and whatever charges might be dreamed up. I handed the matter to my solicitor once the debt collection agency letters came, she sorted it out but cost me best part of £200 in solicitors fees - David Lloyd are absolute bastards in my humble opinion.

Nightboattocairo Fri 07-Aug-15 13:02:26

I think on the whole it is very easy to leave, my DDebit stopped at the right time, it all went very smoothly, I mean, people leave every day, it's not going to be problematic for everyone. You do need to give three months' notice around now though, if you want to leave in November.

Nightboattocairo Fri 07-Aug-15 13:07:11

So you'll pay at the beginning of sep, beginning of October, beginning of nov and your last day will be Nov 30. Don't stop the DD yourself, really, they do it all for you. You have to be on top of dates etc, they do not remind you.

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 13:28:33

I don't have to leave in November but I just don't want to be tied to another 12 months from this November. So if I were to give notice in November, would that enable me to leave in February?

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 13:29:03

It's good to hear that not everyone has problems though!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Fri 07-Aug-15 13:32:43

Prepare to be bombarded with email offers for reduced fees, special promotions etc for months and months (even after you have unsubscribed from the email list hmm)

bodenbiscuit Fri 07-Aug-15 14:12:43

Oh dear! Well at least I can just delete them. I'm not sure whether I will be able to leave because there are no comparable gyms in my home town.

Nightboattocairo Fri 07-Aug-15 17:33:07

Yes, just give three months' notice & you can go.

TalkinPeace Mon 17-Aug-15 19:02:35

People I know who left my one just give the required notice period in writing handed in to reception
apart from the ones who had their memberships cancelled by the club!

bodenbiscuit Mon 17-Aug-15 19:12:09

Who had their memberships cancelled by the club??

TalkinPeace Mon 17-Aug-15 19:19:16

A couple of people I know for various trivial breaches of the rules - you find out when your card does not work one day grin

bodenbiscuit Mon 17-Aug-15 20:44:18

Oh no! How embarrassing. What sort of things get you banned?

TalkinPeace Mon 17-Aug-15 21:04:11

In one case it involved a character clash and an ill tempered facebook post wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now