Talk

Advanced search

Running but not losing much weight...

(10 Posts)
ScoutRifle Fri 07-Aug-15 08:42:07

Hello,
Started doing the couch to 5k a few weeks ago and I do weights to tone up.
I run 6 days a week and eat around 1000 calories a day of healthy food.
I'm late 30's and 2 stone over weight.
I've lost a stone and half but it's taken absolutely ages.
I'm losing 2lb a week if I'm lucky but I really need to lose it faster.
What on earth am I doing wrong?
Please help....

dementedpixie Fri 07-Aug-15 08:49:45

2lb a week is plenty. are you sure you are eating enough?

suze28 Fri 07-Aug-15 08:50:36

I'm no expert but I'd suggest eating 1000 cals a day with your levels of activity isn't enough. I'm doing C25K too and they recommend a day of rest in between each run (I run every other day) so maybe that's not helping you either.
2lb a week though is good and steady so 1.5 st is great.

rookiemere Fri 07-Aug-15 08:55:13

Ok couple of things - losing 2lb a week is loads, as you're now getting closer to your goal weight then things will naturally slow down.

Running in itself is not going to be a massive help in terms of weight loss, but it will keep you toned and healthy. I never lose weight through running, but it does make my legs wobble less.

1000 cals sounds pretty low, particularly if you're doing weights as well. Have you looked at what you're eating rather than just calories - make sure you're eating enough protein.

PurpleDaisies Fri 07-Aug-15 08:58:44

Totally agree with the other posters. 1000 calories is very low. Aren't you hungry all the time?

Is there a particular reason you think you need to lose weight faster? 2lb a week is what's recommended. It is a long slow battle but it's much healthier to lose it slowly.

ScoutRifle Fri 07-Aug-15 09:13:01

Thank you for the replies.
I have had to cut out sugar from my diet because it was causing low blood sugar dips much like a diabetic but apparently I'm not diabetic.
So when I did that I didn't replace the snacks with anything and I kind of got used to it. I have breakfast, lunch & dinner I don't go without a meal. I will try and have some healthy snacks between meals instead of going without.
I am hoping to have an operation this year and losing weight would make it a lot safer because I have sleep apnea so that's why I was wanting to lose it quicker. If you think 2lbs is perfectly reasonable then I'll stick with what I'm doing.
Thank you.

rookiemere Fri 07-Aug-15 09:53:04

You're doing brilliantly. Losing 2lb a week consistently is fab.

I have the blood sugar dip thing too - I found that something that helped is cutting out refined white bread, crumpets, scones etc, particularly in the earlier part of the day.

flanjabelle Fri 07-Aug-15 09:59:39

Are you weighing all your food? And measuring all your drink? If you were actually eating 1000 cals a day then you would be losing it faster than that.

However, 1000 calories a day is far far too low for an active person. Your body will not be getting all it needs to sustain your normal daily energy expenditure. You will be losing more lean muscle mass than fat at this rate.

I think you need to measure accurately what you are eating using electronic kitchen scales, and measure any drinks other than water. Whilst doing this, increase your daily calories to at least 1200.

Have you worked out your tdee (total daily energy expenditure)? The minimum you should be eating is your tdee -20% for safe weight loss.

flanjabelle Fri 07-Aug-15 10:02:08

If you aren't already, use the myfitnesspal app to log your food intake and exercise burns. you should eat around half of what it says you burn in exercise back (it is over generous with burns).

Seriously 1000cals for Someone doing as much exercise as you are is plain dangerous.

BlingBubbles Fri 07-Aug-15 10:05:48

1000 calories a day for that amount of exercise is not good at all. You should be eating loads more, especially protein and carbs after training. I would suggest using a macronutrient calculator to find out your macronutrients, forget counting calories and rather look at macronutrients and see what they should be for you.

iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

here is one calculator that works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now