Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cycle to work scheme - potentially daft question

(5 Posts)
Piffpaffpoff Thu 06-Aug-15 14:07:00

I'm thinking about getting a new bike through the cycle to work scheme. (I don't actually need a new bike but when's that ever stopped anyone?!)

Anyway, I have a potentially daft question that I could do with some help on, if anyone can?

As I understand it, I have to register now, and tell the scheme from where I want to buy the bike and how much I want to spend. Then, once the offer period is closed, they'll send me a voucher for my chosen shop at the chosen amount. What if they don't have the bike I want by then? Or if the price has changed?

Any info on how this works will be gratefully received!

(And, for those interested, I'm going for a cyclocross bike as my commute is a mix of road, farm track, tar cycle path and loose cycle path. Not narrowed it down any further than that yet so recommendations welcomed...)

DragonsCanHop Thu 06-Aug-15 14:11:27

As I understand it, the voucher amount is taken from your salary before your salary is taxed.

If the bike was to cost more you would pay the extra.

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Aug-15 14:18:53

I have a bike on the cycle to work scheme - I checked who I could use that particular voucher scheme with, then asked the shop nearest to me if they could get that bike in. You can also use the voucher for accessories like a helmet, lights, chain, so you can leave wiggle room in the voucher for price changes and use any left over for that

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 06-Aug-15 14:23:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Piffpaffpoff Sat 15-Aug-15 14:39:47

Thanks everyone. We ordered the bike last weekend and then yesterday, one of the scenarios set out in my OP happened. Bike shop sale, bike now £150 cheaper than the price I put my application in at last week. Disaster.

So I'm now in the process of cancelling my order/request and redoing it at the lower price. It's a bit of a faff, but it is possible which is the main thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now