Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a really good book about running?

(19 Posts)
shiplessocean Tue 28-Jul-15 14:15:19

I have recently started running again...loving it so far and desperately want to take a running book on holiday to keep my interest going! I have read the Murikami one and loved that. Any suggestions welcome! x

Sid77 Tue 28-Jul-15 14:37:51

It's probably not quite what you mean, but I have recently read 'the end of the world running club'. It's got running in it and if you like post apocalyptic survival type books then give it a go! £1.99 on kindle - check out the Amazon description... here

AmberNectarine Tue 28-Jul-15 14:40:02

I recently read 'the angry jogger' which I really, really enjoyed.

shiplessocean Tue 28-Jul-15 14:55:07

Thanks...both of those look great! Have ordered them just now

TwoDrifters Tue 28-Jul-15 15:08:21

www.theguardian.com/books/2013/mar/17/running-mark-rowlands-alexandra-heminsley-review I really enjoyed this book by Alexandra Heminsley!

Stubbed Tue 28-Jul-15 15:09:04

Feet in the Clouds, inspiring book about fell running

shiplessocean Tue 28-Jul-15 15:12:23

Damn...these look good too! Am justifying my purchases as investment in my health.

shakemysilliesout Tue 28-Jul-15 20:12:45

Running with the Kenyans is an easy read. Dean karnos books about ultra running are quite good too. What's that one where the woman runs around the world in memory of her late husband? Liked that too.

Hated 'running like a girl' heminsley

shiplessocean Wed 29-Jul-15 12:28:19

Why did you hate "running like a girl" Shakemy? I have just put that on my wish list. Just looking up "Running with the Kenyans" now

HalleLouja Wed 29-Jul-15 17:48:37

Running Like a Girl

Just a Short Run Around the World by Rosie Swale-Pope

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

All of them were really engaging and inspiring.

AmberNectarine Wed 29-Jul-15 18:13:13

Also not a fan of running like a girl - I found her irritatingly twittery. Worrying about everything.

isittheweekendyet Wed 29-Jul-15 18:13:42

Born to run

CMOTDibbler Wed 29-Jul-15 18:17:05

Born to Run is amazing - so well written and engaging. Have re read it loads.

I like Running Like a Girl, but its a v different book.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Thu 30-Jul-15 08:52:16

The Cool Impossible by Eric Orton.

rookiemere Thu 30-Jul-15 08:59:12

Are you bringing your running gear with you - holiday is not the time for long runs but I always pack my stuff and try to fit in at least a few 20-30 min sessions. It's also a great way to see the local countyside
I subscribe to Women's running magazine, great for inspiration and new workout ideas.

shakemysilliesout Thu 30-Jul-15 19:28:07

Tiny runners blog is good.

Running like a girl. So the content was unremarkable/ she was ordinary (ie she's not chrissie Wellington). Which is fine, but if you are writing about something as normal as running London marathon then your writing better be good. And I didn't think it was. But I'm ahead of her in my running journey so that could be the main issue.

Chrissie wellingtons book is very good.

TwoDrifters Fri 31-Jul-15 20:04:56

I think I enjoyed Running Like A Girl because I'm a total running noob so it spoke to me in an anyone-can-do-this type way :-)

shiplessocean Sun 16-Aug-15 20:14:14

Belated thanks for all these recos! Holiday was great - 3 runs, despite the heat (thanks for advice Rokiemere...stuck to short ones). I enjoyed first few chapters of Running Like a Girl, but then got bored of her tone. Also read "The Angry Jogger" found it interesting, but found him very crude (and hated the homophobic references!) About to start "the end of the world running club" and have subscribed to Women's Running! Finding of all these so useful for motivation...first long run since back tomorrow morning, excited but scared. Thanks everyone!

Naicecuppatea Mon 17-Aug-15 11:24:22

I've just started this one which seems pretty good so far Runner's World

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now