Talk

Advanced search

Couch to 5k - HELP! I'm struggling!

(12 Posts)
jellycake Thu 23-Jul-15 08:15:02

I started the c25k in May and although I was desperately unfit (it took me 3 weeks to master week 1 - couldn't even run for 20 secs to begin with) I made progress and was doing ok. I started week 5 this week and I am really struggling. I feel like I am doing less and less. This morning I decided to go back to week 4 which I know that I can do and I have really struggled with that as well. I know myself and know that I am in real danger of just giving up. Do you think I should go back to week 3 and build it back up again or push through week 4? I have no idea why I'm struggling so much but fear it is more of a mental struggle rather than physical. The trouble is I don't really like running, I have had a few occasions when I have lost myself and when Laura tells me to stop it's been a bit of a shock but they are few and far between. Some words of wisdom - please!

EmberRose Thu 23-Jul-15 08:29:31

I have the same but with week 6. I was fine up to week 5 and really struggled this week. Don't know if it's the weather, the fact that I've just started the holidays? Do you have anyone you can run with? I've been with my OH a few times and I quite liked having a running partner- rule was we ran at my pace tho!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Thu 23-Jul-15 08:34:55

Have you tried slowing the pace of your running down? That usually helps.

Is it the long run or the shorter ones that are the issue?

jellycake Thu 23-Jul-15 08:44:45

Hi, thanks. I don't have anyone else to run with, unfortunately. I struggle with the 5 minute runs really (but I haven't tried longer ones) and I feel that if I go any slower I will come to a stop! When I was doing week 4 before, I could do the first three runs and then found the last 5 minute run tricky but moving onto week 5 I struggled as soon as I started!

jellycake Thu 23-Jul-15 08:47:29

Ember - what are you planning on doing? Are you going to stick it out or go back to week 5 for a bit?

sarajones2 Thu 23-Jul-15 17:55:17

I wouldn't give up just yet. I felt exactly the same during the course, some days I really struggled and didn't feel like I was enjoying it at all. But I kept telling myself I was in no rush to finish the couch to 5k I could take as long as I needed to. Some days I felt as though I was going backwards and not really improving then all of a sudden it just happened without realising I run 5k, th previous week I could barely run 3.5, and was ready to quit. I kept telling myself, just one more run. Now I am addicted. I kept thinking of all sorts of excuses why I couldn't run, ex smoker, age, not apt for running. Trust me I struggled.
Bear in mind it has been warm the past few weeks so that makes it even harder. Last night, it was cooler here in London and I ran the longest I ever ran, a whopping 7.5k. Now aiming for the 10k!
Please don't quit, the sense of achievement I feel now is fantastic. My legs are starting to take shape, I have more energy and love getting out in the forest in the fresh air. It will all

CiderwithBuda Thu 23-Jul-15 18:03:51

Go back to a week you felt comfortable with.

I have felt exhausted this week. I'm not doing C25K - knees didn't like it - I'm now walking. This week I have felt like I am walking through treacle. Today was first day I felt normal again.

I would do week 3 again if I were you. You are doing really well if you complete week four having not been able to run for 20 secs at the start. So may be try week three again this week and see if you can do week four next week and maybe do that for two weeks before trying week five.

Good luck. I'm jealous. I loved it. Got to week seven. I'm trying to lose weight currently and am hoping to try again when I've lost 3 stone.

jellycake Thu 23-Jul-15 18:29:21

Thanks everyone. I will go back to week 3 and start again! I have to admit that running 5k seems like a pipe dream but I'm not going to give up! smile

EmberRose Thu 23-Jul-15 21:01:52

I just went onto the next run tonight- week 6 run 2 and it was ok. I think I am going to force myself to keep going and see what happens! Good luck jellycake

Lagoonablue Thu 23-Jul-15 21:15:03

Are you listening to music? I found that helped.

Just keep going. I began the programme in Jan and am still running? Made it to 5 k and am happy with that for now. I run about 4k 3 times per week now. I feel great.

You can do it!

chutneypig Fri 24-Jul-15 06:52:18

It took me two years to get through the full programme, between the odd injury and poor weather etc. I repeated weeks often and then had a big push at the beginning of this year. The weather is really telling on at the moment, so I can well imagine that isn't helping as others have said.

I remember feeling for so long that an actually 5k was out of the question but I did get there. I finished in March and had registered for a charity 5k then. Most weekends since I've done parkrun and started training for a 10k this week.

If I'd not repeated weeks (especially week 5!) I'd not be here now. And over that length of time you can see how many times that must have been. I'd also second the music if you can listen safely.

Also, Id recommend using an app like Runkeeper if you have a smartphone. It really helps to see the progression you're making in pace, distance etc. for me I couldn't feel it but it helped to see it in numbers.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Thu 30-Jul-15 09:09:33

I know you said you have no-one to run with but is there really no-one? I tried the C25K and although I think it's a great idea I just didn't get on with it very well. I need to run with others; I keep going far longer when with others than when alone. Also, I'm inclined to run too fast alone and can't keep the pace up, yet the group keep a slower pace I can maintain. It's also a bit of moral support which I like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now