Talk

Advanced search

Sudden period loss - exercise related?

(12 Posts)
Redspottygranola Thu 16-Jul-15 14:43:33

I have been training hard for an event since Christmas and had a fitness assessment in Jan and another a couple of weeks ago. My body fat % has dropped from 30.5% to 22.5% which doesn't seem abnormally low to me. My weight is only 3kg less but I've put on 5% of muscle mass. Anyway my periods have always been exactly 4 weeks apart all my life but this month I had a tiny bit of bleeding a week before my period was due and then nothing after that. Is it possible that exercising could have done this? My periods have been perfectly normal up til now. Could it be the start of menopause already? I'm late thirties and have an 8month old DD. has anyone else had experience of this? Am trying to work out when next period will be and hoping it won't coincide with my event. TIA!

Redspottygranola Thu 16-Jul-15 16:28:36

Anyone at all ever had this?

Redspottygranola Thu 16-Jul-15 17:24:26

sad

ElephantMug Thu 16-Jul-15 18:22:14

I seem to stop menstruating when my body fat goes lower than it was in my teens when my periods started. I don't know exactly what it was but my periods seem to stop when my weight gets under 9st, which I'm sure would be fine on others my height.
So what I'm getting at is that your bf level might not be that low compared to others, but it might be a bit too low for you. In my experience, I can exercise a lot without it making a difference, but the body fat level does seem to matter. Might be worth going to the doctors to get your hormone levels checked?

Redspottygranola Thu 16-Jul-15 19:21:05

Hmmm thanks - I used to be mega fit when I was younger, more than now I reckon and didn't have a problem - although was on the pill actually a lot so I guess I don't know how that might've affected it. Also been REALLY moody lately - just c snappy and also ready to explode over little things. Grrr bloody hormones (or lack of them!) - really want to sit on the sofa and eat cake and drink wine but I've come this far and only 2 weeks to go.....

Littlepumpkinpie Fri 17-Jul-15 11:24:05

My body fat is sitting at12% periods are normal cycle but I do also have a lot of muscle. Age well I'm over 40 hope this helps in some way.

YoureMyWifeNowDave Fri 17-Jul-15 16:52:39

Silly question but have you done a test?

sleepwhenidie Fri 17-Jul-15 16:54:31

<14% body fat tends to be the level quoted for when periods are affected generally so 22.5% in itself shouldn't be an issue, but you may be training too hard and not eating well enough (in quality terms, and/or calories) or resting enough. Do you have any other symptoms of over-training, such as inability to sleep or low immunity, constant viruses etc? If not then it may be something else entirely.

Elephants theory is interesting I wish I knew what I weighed at 14 so I could compare!

FWIW I have experienced similar, was always very regular, but in last year or two I've had occasional very short (19 days) or very long (39 days) cycles. I train hard but there doesn't seem to be a pattern, I've just put it down to changing hormones through age.

babyiwantabump Fri 17-Jul-15 16:59:00

Have you considered that you may be pregnant?

Redspottygranola Fri 17-Jul-15 19:18:27

littlepumpkin I can't believe how low your body fat is!! Are you a body builder? Which scales are you using out of interest? I have salter scales at home and they say anywhere from 11%-18% depending on the setting which I find odd but have lost the manual. The fitness assessment scales had a hand-held bit and came in at 22.5 - the PT said they are more accurate.
No I'm def not pregnant - too tired to have sex blush or just once a week anyway and always with a condom. I would make him put two on if I could!
I am horribly ratty and rather sleep deprived due to DC (also have a 3&5yr old) and so tired that I haven't trained since weds...I usually have to train at 5am a couple of weekday mornings to get my runs in and again v early at the weekends. I do 6 sessions per week, 4 runs (long/interval/hills/tempo) plus a couple of circuit type sessions too. I'm exhausted but trying to follow an 8 week program. Only 2 weeks left before I collapse in a heap!

Littlepumpkinpie Fri 17-Jul-15 23:31:21

Hi Red scales are only used to see what I actually weigh. Body fat measurements are done with calipers from 12 points of my body by my coach which are taken very frequently. I'm preparing to do a competitionwink
Those machines are not very accurate at measuring body fat if I jumped on one they read mine at far more than it is. I like to go off how I look more than what a scale or calipers reading gives.

sleepwhenidie Sat 18-Jul-15 05:13:44

Agree the machines are shockingly inaccurate. It sounds like overtraining and lack of recovery is the most likely cause though Red, maybe tone it down a bit once you complete the programme (if not before)? Our bodies have a way of whispering to us when things aren't working and the longer you ignore it, the whisper becomes a shout. Don't push yourself into illness or injury smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now