Talk

Advanced search

Can I run if my abdominal muscles are still seperated after pregnancy?

(6 Posts)
BitandBot Thu 09-Jul-15 19:50:22

I have 4 children and a rectal divarication. I think you can fit 4 fingers in the gap in my abdominal muscles. My core is non existent and pelvic floor weak.
After my second baby I was told Pilates was guaranteed to fix it. Unfortunately it made little difference to the gap.
A physiotherapist has told me surgery is the only answer but it's too expensive. She told me NEVER to run as she said with no core I would end up badly injuring my back by running.
What do you think. I need to get fit and lose a couple of stone. I don't have time for classes or the money for a gym so as hoc running makes sense.

CordeliaFoxx Thu 09-Jul-15 19:56:26

I would listen to the physio. My stomach isn't as bad as yours, and was told no sit ups, crunches etc. I look at my friends nice tones stomachs with envy, I find loosing very much weight makes it look worse too ��

museumum Thu 09-Jul-15 19:59:48

Have you tried Tupler technique? This blog seems to suggest running is ok with Tupler. I think even if the gap doesn't close if you do Tupler religiously you'll strengthen all the other muscles enough to support you.
You might find running with a weak pelvic floor unpleasant though.

museumum Thu 09-Jul-15 20:00:02

Link www.beautifulafterthebelly.com/what-exercises-can-i-do-with-a-diastasis-recti-cardio-sports-abs-for-arms-legs-obliques/

museumum Thu 09-Jul-15 20:04:34

How about cycling or power walking for now alongside post partum specific core work?

BitandBot Thu 09-Jul-15 20:29:14

Thanks will look at the link. The thing is I think I'm beyond repair. It's been like this since my second baby 10 years ago. He was huge plus i had a cs. Am only short. I have got a book on the Tupler technique. Need to dig it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now