Talk

Advanced search

Started running and weight increasing

(14 Posts)
Chippychop Wed 08-Jul-15 22:53:52

I' m a new runner and I've been running for 6 weeks working up from 1 min running to 30 mins, running every other day. Is it possible my muscles have toned up enough for me to add 3-4lbs in weight? Or have I just been eating too muchhmm

JillBYeats Wed 08-Jul-15 22:55:43

I run quite a lot (2/3 half marathons a year) and put on weight the more I run - I have never lost weight with running. I am definitely more toned and slimmer from that though.

Wileycoyote Wed 08-Jul-15 22:56:45

Me too. Am a good 7lbs heavier and running half marathons.

Chippychop Wed 08-Jul-15 23:01:37

Is it possible I've toned a bit in6 weeks though. DH thinks I have but I'm not sure, he's just being encouraging

sunbathe Wed 08-Jul-15 23:05:58

Why not measure yourself - waist, thigh etc and you'll be able to check?

Chippychop Wed 08-Jul-15 23:07:19

I might. It's just I don't want to face the reality of not having a 24" waist anymore (or the last 20 yrs)

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 09-Jul-15 15:12:27

Do you think you may have gained weight? You don't use as many calories really for running as you might imagine and it's all to easy to eat them back unfortunately.

I run loads and have never found it very good for losing weight. If I eat badly I still gain despite running nearly 40 miles a week and walking probably 25 miles.

I am fairly toned, strong and healthy, just not as slim as I'd like grin

I do find the scales unpredictable though and I tend to go by feel of clothes or use the tape measure.

suzannecanthecan Fri 10-Jul-15 09:32:00

In some people exercise appears to over stimulate‎ appetite so that you over compensate for the calories used.

Bear in mind that those who are over fat very likely already have appetites which are decoupled from physiological need, it may be that exercise creates a positive feedback loop where by ‎the dysregulation is exacerbated.

TL:DR if you are overweight exercise may just make things worse sadconfused

KeyserSophie Fri 10-Jul-15 10:44:14

Bad news is that 4k 4 times a week burns about 1000 cals per week ( gross) or 1lb per month ( net). It's the reason why exercise cannot contribute massively to weight loss. Just takes too bloody long to burn significant cals. I run 50k a week plus 3 Crossfit classes and still can't just eat with abandon. You may have gained some muscle tone but not enough to account for 2kg in 6 wks unfortunately.

However.... That isn't to say that exercise as you're doing doesn't have significant health benefits so well done you for building up from scratch.

pootlebug Sat 11-Jul-15 10:59:02

How much more are you aware you're eating due to the running? It's easier to quantify the 'snack when you get back' bit, harder to quantify the increased appetite all day bit.

For 30 minutes you shouldn't need anything but water before/during exercise. It's worth having some protein and carbs after you get back to help with muscle and glycogen recovery, but it's best to time it so that it is mealtime anyway iyswim, so that you're not adding in extra food. It's harder to quantify if running just increases your appetite overall though.

Chippychop Tue 14-Jul-15 08:28:28

Ok thanks for all that helpful feedback... I think I need to reign in/ change my eating (I'm not big but 4lbs is a big gain as I'm only 5ft 4") I know I've indulged lately. If anything running Is helping me keep motivated and energy levels up grin

mommybunny Tue 14-Jul-15 13:57:54

Yep, definitely can't eat with abandon just because you're running sad. I've been running regularly since February and now average about 35km per week. I have no idea if I've lost weight or not - I've been trying not to increase my consumption and trying during the week to stay "vegan before 6pm" - because I don't weigh myself. My clothes do feel better, however, and people have told me I look like I've lost weight. Keep at it, and good luck!

Tetleys Tue 14-Jul-15 13:59:47

Put map your run on your phone. It tells you how many calories you've burnt on your run depressingly few

I've never had a 24" waisst. I don't think my daughter has a 24" wasit and she's size 8.

Tetleys Tue 14-Jul-15 14:02:00

Yes, Keysersophie, I think running only makes me lose weight because it makes me more likely to resist the things i might have eaten mindlessly. I am not dieting at the moment ( i could lose 7lbs though) but I do find running makes me pause before I reach for another cracker, or a second helping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now