Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Running apps- recommendations to help me get faster!

(13 Posts)
COPMyourselfon Mon 06-Jul-15 19:27:12

Having started with a couch to 5k app I am now up to 10k.

I had thought of carrying on to do a half marathon but I am v v slow - 1.15ish for a 10k. So, I though I would be better to concentrate on speed over distance.

I am naturally a plodder and unless I concentrate I find myself slowing down. I am using the free map my run at the moment and it tells me my speed every km but I want am app that tells me to speed up as soon as my pace goes below a certain level to make sure I keep going and up my pace as the weeks go on. Pretty much the virtual equivalent of a PE teacher saying "come on girls!!".

Does such a thing exist? I don't mind paying but don't want to waste money.

longdiling Mon 06-Jul-15 19:33:50

You can get gps watches that do that, even the more basic ones apparently. Not heard of any apps though! Listening to music with a faster beat helps me. Try picking a spot in the distance like a lampost and sprinting for it.

longdiling Mon 06-Jul-15 19:35:16

Oh and maybe consider joining a running club, you'll get a lot of encouragement and help with improving your pace

WiseKneeHair Mon 06-Jul-15 19:37:44

Ive got a Garmin forerunner watch which you can set to a pace. It beeps if you go faster/slower than that.
It also does all the other things you would expect. I love it grin

MrsMook Mon 06-Jul-15 21:12:16

My Polar does it too.
I also like the C25k + podcasts. There's a speed session which is short, with paced intervals, and a longer stamina track which gradually builds up the pace over 35 mins.

They've helped me to speed up, and I've noticed the difference on my longer runs even though I've done little distance in recent months.

COPMyourselfon Tue 07-Jul-15 09:28:28

Thanks everyone. I will have a look at some watches and the c25k plus.

Maybe there is a gap in the market for a PE teacher type app!

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 07-Jul-15 09:41:57

I'm a huge fan on the 'Zombies,run!' App. telks you a story, plays your music in between parts of the storyline and if you want, every so often you get chased by a hoard of zombies and have to increase your speed to escape. It really kept me motivated

mommybunny Mon 13-Jul-15 16:15:16

Hi - I'm looking for something like this too. I have the NHS c25k plus speed podcast, and it's ok. I too have noticed pace improvements on longer runs, but I wanted to see if there was anything else to get some variety. Does the stamina NHS one cover hills?

KanyesVest Thu 16-Jul-15 19:12:56

I'm like you, but slower blush I recently downloaded the free runzi app. I haven't really used it yet, but I think (hope!) it has a metronome to help improve cadence and therefore speed. I've also discovered running on the balls of my feet instead of heel striking, which I have up to now. My calves are sore but my run is more bouncy and I feel like I'm getting propelled farther with each step.

Redspottygranola Thu 16-Jul-15 19:52:14

runkeeper is free and you can have it on your phone if you take that with you - you can set a pace and it will tell you if you are on track. I used that before I got my garmin forerunner which you can just look at as you're running along x

MsThePoint Thu 16-Jul-15 19:57:57

There's an app called "Joggers" which runs your best performance alongside your run.
There's a "ghost" which is your best performance.
Basically you run against your best run and the app tells you if the "ghost " is catching up or overtakes.
I don't think i've described that very eloquently but hopefully you get tge gist!
I love it!

MrsMook Sat 18-Jul-15 08:41:30

I like zombies but have the chases turned off as the blighters always come after me on a hill or crossing a road!

Redspottygranola Sat 18-Jul-15 10:46:26

What's zombies mrsmook?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now