Talk

Advanced search

targeting my tummy

(16 Posts)
AMcoffeeLover Wed 01-Jul-15 12:23:29

So I eat a healthy diet, exercise quite a bit.
happy with everything but my tummy. Its toned but has a layer of what feels like firm fat that stops my tummy being flat (where people would have a 6pack mines slightly curved where that fat is, doesn't go around my sides)
How can I target it?

hillyhilly Wed 01-Jul-15 12:37:07

There are a couple of apps I downloaded, however, despite good intentions I've not been diligent.
I wanted a programme that takes less than 10 mins each day to do everyday, the apps I found (30 day abs) are not bad but because of sore wrists I cant do some of the exercises and the other started too easy and ended too hard!

Lottapianos Wed 01-Jul-15 13:09:38

I recommend one of the 10 Minute Solutions DVDs called 'Blast Off Belly Fat'. It's tough but you just do as much as you can and keep at it, 3-4 times a week. It helped to tone up my ab muscles pretty well and improved my core strength loads

AMcoffeeLover Wed 01-Jul-15 13:10:34

Feels like I've tried everything, sit ups make it worse and the others make no difference

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 01-Jul-15 13:13:42

Might you have diastasis recti? In which case you shouldn't be doing crunches or planks etc as they will confirm the gap rather than narrow it, making it look worse.

nilbyname Wed 01-Jul-15 13:16:05

What's the alternative then shotgun?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 01-Jul-15 13:19:41

Self test for DR

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 01-Jul-15 13:23:57

I'm not a trainer or any sort of exercise guru, but I've started the mutu programme which a lot of people claim success with. It starts very gently with the aim of healing the gap and strengthening the tissue, and builds up to a greater level of intensity over the weeks.
I'm sure if you googled exercise for DR a lot of sufgestions would come up.
Things like heel drops, heel slides, done with correct form. (I'm still in the early stages so don't know what's to come).

AMcoffeeLover Wed 01-Jul-15 14:08:40

That's kinda like what I've got, i'm just very mild. but i've never carried to term/got big (I get a small bump about 9 weeks, but always loose by 18 weeks). so unlikely that its that?

nilbyname Wed 01-Jul-15 14:12:59

Thanks shotgun flowers

mumofthemonsters808 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:23:54

Im another fan of the Blast Off Belly Fat DVD, its only a fiver from Amazon and consists of 10 minute sessions. I did the belly fat buster first and then progressed to the others. Its really made a difference but it does not happen overnight, Ive been doing it since Christmas.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 01-Jul-15 15:18:27

Oh I'm sorry Coffeelover. I think There are other causes of the condition besides pg though - men can have it.
Maybe check yourself as in the link - or heed others' advice as I'm no expert!

AMcoffeeLover Thu 02-Jul-15 10:17:53

I'll look at the DVD

hillyhilly Sun 05-Jul-15 13:15:12

I've just bought the dvd for £2.49 on Ebay, now I just have to make the habit

SaulGood Sun 05-Jul-15 13:20:36

I think your abs sound pretty good. You can do all of the exercises you want and it will improve shape and tone but the layer of fat over the top (normal btw) will only go when your body fat percentage is below a certain number. You'd have to eat a really restrictive diet to achieve this. It's not realistic for most women.

You can't target fat loss either. Good cardio training, particularly interval training and plyometrics will shift body fat but from all over.

Abdominal exercises alone won't magically reveal your abs.

If you want a good core workout which changes your shape noticeably, Jillian Michaels' 6 Week 6 Pack is very effective and a good mix of cardio and resistance.

hillyhilly Sat 25-Jul-15 18:02:27

As a little update - I have been doing the exercises for around 5 days now, sometimes I do one set (10mins) some days I manage two.
I'm not sure I can see any results yet, I'm going with the theory that it has to be helping and I'll be in a bikini three weeks today.
I like the DVD and the exercises in it seem to be good.

OP did you do anything/ get any results?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now