Talk

Advanced search

Stepping into our July Walking Challenge - all welcome!

(80 Posts)
CiderwithBuda Wed 01-Jul-15 08:02:54

Had a walking challenge thread going in April and June and found it really helpful.

Aim is to walk more than you are walking now!

My target is to actually do 10,000 steps a day EVERY day in July. Fingers crossed dodgy leg holds out.

I have a Fitbit but a pedometer or step counter on a phone would work as well. Or even just an aim of walking for 30 mins every day for instance.

Howlongtillbedtime Wed 01-Jul-15 08:15:48

Morning just marking spot . My plan this month is to aim to get closer to 15000 steps a day on the road to losing more lard .

A couch to 5k day today so I should get it. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone!

I have just moved the target on my Fitbit from 12500 (scraped in on that on average in June) to 15000. Gulp!

LondonHuffyPuffy Wed 01-Jul-15 10:41:41

Morning! Thanks for the new thread, Cider. I found the June thread really motivating.

My goal is 500,000 steps in July. That's an average of 16129 a day. Gulp.

Good luck everyone, today especially. It's freakin' BOILING in London and am guessing it is hot pretty much everywhere today. I'm not complianing, as I love the sun, but it is hot for walking. I walked home along the South Bank yesterday evening and probably got more steps than usual as I was dodging and zigzagging along trying to remain in the shade grin

CiderwithBuda Wed 01-Jul-15 16:24:33

Your aims are all so much higher than mine!

And I think I'm going to fail on day 1! Have been busy all day and i don't hunk I will manage a walk today.

blush

I have done .tonacise. And weighed in at slimming world and am down 4lbs this week.

Howlongtillbedtime Wed 01-Jul-15 16:29:14

Well done cider 4 pounds is brilliant . You are obviously doing something right .

My 15000 aim is all your fault anyway grin

LondonHuffyPuffy Wed 01-Jul-15 17:46:47

4lb in a week is great, Cider. You must be v chuffed.

I've managed just under 8k today. Now to walk home from work (am procrastinating on here before I set off). Will see how far I get before I melt.

LondonHuffyPuffy Wed 01-Jul-15 21:16:52

20,005 with 163 AMs today

Am knackered

Howlongtillbedtime Wed 01-Jul-15 22:22:47

15639 and 85 active minutes today which I am pleased with in this heat .

London you must have been melting.

LondonHuffyPuffy Thu 02-Jul-15 10:12:37

Hopefully I melted some kg off grin
Yep, it was bloody hot. I jumped straight into the shower fully clothed the second I got in the house!

LMGTFY Thu 02-Jul-15 10:20:01

Sounds great can I join in? I haven't got a step counter, I'm trying to squeeze a mile a day in though, that should make a bit of an impact.

LondonHuffyPuffy Thu 02-Jul-15 21:06:56

Hello LMGTFY (love your name!). Welcome. Do you have an iPhone? If you do there's a step counter in the Health app

Another good day for me today. 20,194 steps, 141 AMs (active minutes, for LMGTFY's benefit). I want to push myself this month. My aim is to get fit enough to start running in September. I think it will be easier to run in the winter months than do long walks in the dark.

Howlongtillbedtime Thu 02-Jul-15 22:17:58

Welcome LGMTFY , the more the merrier !

I have managed 18947 and 61 minutes . Very pleased with that but it has been a busy day .

london you are doing really well , and running in the winter sounds like a good plan .

15073 and 51 AMs today. At 9pm I had only done 10,000 and 0 AMs, so I went off out on my own for an hour and very nice it was too.

LondonHuffyPuffy Thu 02-Jul-15 22:29:49

Thanks, Howlong. Sounds like we've all had good days today. I love the solitude of walking. That sounds daft, given London is so full of people, but it's just me and my thoughts. I block out the people and stomp along. Love it.

LMGTFY Fri 03-Jul-15 11:43:23

Hi, I'm sure I could find a counter on my phone but I can't realistically carry it all day. I did my mile yesterday and should manage it today too. I'd love to shift some excess weight and can't run at the mo so a challenge to walk is just what I need!

LondonHuffyPuffy Fri 03-Jul-15 14:14:20

Before I got my Fitbit I just stuck my phone in my pocket all day. Does require you to wear stuff with pockets, mind!

LondonHuffyPuffy Fri 03-Jul-15 20:48:09

25,340 and 207 AMs today. 22.3km. Personal best.

I wanted to get quite a few in today as I might not have time to do 2 long walks this weekend... then when I realised I was close to beating my all time best I kept going!

Time for wine now smile

Wow London, you shoes must be quite worn out!

15985 and 53 AMs for me today, usual school runs etc, plus walked to town and back (towards the far end this time not just the shops) then up to the allotment tonight. I still need to catch up form a slack day on the 1st though, and tomorrow doesn't look promising, got a lot happening but it mostly involves driving places.

Howlongtillbedtime Sat 04-Jul-15 07:15:20

Morning all 11316 and 48 active mins yesterday, bit of a quiet day but I have kept it over 100 k in a week so I am still pleased with that .

Well done everyone it looks like you are all doing a grand job .

Wailywailywaily Sat 04-Jul-15 07:31:20

Hello, can I join in?
I have just got an iPhone and discovered the app. My average steps was 11,000 a day last week. I'm really chuffed with thatsmile I am losing weight too!

Howlongtillbedtime Sun 05-Jul-15 08:41:14

Morning all and welcome waily, yesterday I did 11923 and 30 active minutes. Hoping for a little bit more today , I really need to be hitting 15000 more often so I can lose weight .

LondonHuffyPuffy Sun 05-Jul-15 13:50:09

Afternoon all.

I did 19710 yesterday and 152 AMs. 16000 of those from walking and 3000 from dancing! Went clubbing for the first time in ages. Had forgotten how much fun dancing is! Plus I "banked" 1600 for today as I was still out after midnight. Feeling a little sore today but need to drag myself out fir a walk to finish this week on a high

Wailywailywaily Sun 05-Jul-15 19:54:02

Hmm, it looks really bad for my activity tracker this weekend but that's because I spent the afternoon on the beach yesterday and there is no way I'm taking my phone there. Today I went for a bike ride and the phone doesn't seem to record that either hmm. I'll have to walk twice as far tomorrow! My average distance covered is 6.5 miles and I'm no where near 19,000 steps. Don't know how to record active mins on my iPhone.

LondonHuffyPuffy Sun 05-Jul-15 20:38:03

You could download MapMyRide for cycling and MapMyWalk? I think both are free. I use MapMyWalk, it is more accurate for distance than my Fitbit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now