Talk

Advanced search

Just signed up to my first half marathon - gulp!

(8 Posts)
Usernamegone Sun 28-Jun-15 17:52:34

Eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk!

What have I done????
I would say that I am reasonably fit but I am wouldn't call myself a runner (as I have always done running as part of something else)

Does anyone have any tips! I'm off to find a half marathon training plan!

MelanieCheeks Sun 28-Jun-15 17:53:56

Well done!

I've just signed up for my second - did the first one a few years ago.

A quick google will give you loads of training plans - how long do you have, and how fit at running are you?

Usernamegone Sun 28-Jun-15 19:10:39

I've got 3.5 months until race day. I have done 12 miles obstacle course races before but that is run, stop climb wall, run, stop crawl through tunnel, run, stop etc etc.

GammaDelta Sun 28-Jun-15 20:47:34

dear fellow runners,
thanks for this post. i am planning to run a half marathon on 25th July. . till now I only run around 5-6km. yesterday i ran 7.5 stressed how will i run half marathon in less then a month. ... heeelllpppppp

LMGTFY Sun 28-Jun-15 20:51:42

Good luck, hope it all goes well for you. I'm not a runner, managing a 10k is my greatest achievement, the buzz is worth all the hard work. DH has done the GNR and says the crowds keep you going.

AnyoneForTennis Mon 29-Jun-15 10:15:02

im considering doing another,i've done 2 so far and did London marathon this year too

in the july heat id struggle I think! good luck Gamma

GammaDelta Tue 30-Jun-15 22:48:36

thanks Anyonefortennis i will try let's see how it goes. . my training has suffered in the lady two weeks though. . work is very demanding but hopefukly will settle down by the end of this week n i will be back on track grin literally

DizzyNorthernBird Wed 01-Jul-15 10:21:54

Op 3.5 months is enough to train for a hm. I did my first one last year and before training for it I could only run 3.5 miles twice a week! Find a 16 week training schedule (I use the schedules on the runners world website) to ease yourself into it gradually and if you can try and run four times a week. Start the schedule two weeks early to allow flexibility for any niggles on the way or life getting in the way.

Since my first one I've gone on to run a marathon in May last year and two more halfs, I've got another one coming up a week on Sunday which I haven't trained particularly well for so I'm dreading it a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now