Talk

Advanced search

Non-chafing running tops!

(10 Posts)
BangingTheDrums Sun 21-Jun-15 07:51:01

Have just started running further than 5k and my tshirts chafe (aldi, karrimor) under my arms. Where can I try?
Oh and sunscreen that doesn't blind me would be good too!

KittyandTeal Sun 21-Jun-15 07:56:00

Ooooi want to know this too. Atm my running vests are chaffing at the point all the seams meet under the arm. Bloody sore!

BikeRunSki Sun 21-Jun-15 07:56:05

a Merino running tops soft, cool in summer, warm in winter, don't stink, don't rub. Pricey, but last forever - I have some over 10 years old in fairly constant use.

Littlepumpkinpie Sun 21-Jun-15 08:18:50

Nike running tops tshirt or vests.

sparechange Sun 21-Jun-15 08:26:35

Nike tops are good and have soft seams
BUT, the reason you are chafing there is almost certainly your running style.
Do your arms swing in front of your chest when you run? If so, you are potentially going to get hip and knee problems as well (I can explain why if anyone wants but it would be a long and boring post!)
Practice running with your wrist drawing back to your bum and then driving up to your jaw, with your elbow at a 45 degree angle.

BangingTheDrums Sun 21-Jun-15 09:17:21

My technique is appalling spare so that makes sense! An explanation wouldn't bore me grin

sparechange Sun 21-Jun-15 11:44:24

Basically when you land, you exert force through your joints (hence why running is an impact sport), but those joints are built to cope with the force, and you won't do too much harm.
When you swing your arms, your foot goes down, and the impact is absorbed through your body as usual.
But your arm swinging across your chest twists you slightly at the waist, meaning everything from the hips down twist slightly with it.
Because your trainer-clad foot is pretty stuck to the ground, it's your joints that take the twisting strain, on top of the 'loading' from the impact of running.

Multiply that up with each step you take over weeks, months and years of running, and you are looking at potential problems in joints and your lower back, plus things like chafed inner arms and blisters on the Arches of your feet

Are you still awake, OP..?

BangingTheDrums Sun 21-Jun-15 17:50:07

I'm with you and will pay attention to my flailing limbs next run grin

CMOTDibbler Sun 21-Jun-15 18:49:36

Sunscreen - I use Sunsense everyday facial 50+ for normal runs, and it doesn't sting. For longer days I use P20 in spf 50 - for instance today I was outside doing a triathlon, so put it on at 6am, did the tri, then took my parents out and was outside for several more hours and in spite of being vvvv fair am not even pink

TriJo Tue 23-Jun-15 17:01:38

I've found Adidas, Nike and DHB (Wiggle own brand) tops to chafe a lot less than Sports Direct stuff. I also favour vest tops over t-shirts, less material to bunch there especially when a decent chunk of it is being pulled outwards by the boobage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now