Talk

Advanced search

Running -Hills

(12 Posts)
WeLoveHaribo Thu 18-Jun-15 10:52:07

Do they get easier??
I really hope so, I started running in Feb, Got up to 10k by April then got a stress fracture. Was out just over month and had gait done, New trainers and im back out there... Fitness gone and im back to basics...
Whichever way i go ive a sodding big hill to climb hmm This was a problem before but seems more of a problem now, my breathing is all over the place and struggling to get any distance.
Please tell me the more i get out the easier it will get.......

CMOTDibbler Thu 18-Jun-15 10:53:13

Yes, just keep on - if you need to run/walk, then thats fine.

emummy Thu 18-Jun-15 11:31:49

Yes, keep at it and it will gradually improve. Make sure you are not trying to go too fast, I have read that you should keep the effort level the same, not the speed. And if you have to run/walk it that's fine, just try to run a little bit more every time or every other time and eventually you will be able to do the whole thing. You could try regulating your breathing, say in for two steps, out for three, sometimes concentrating on that can distract you from the horrible hill, good luck!

WeLoveHaribo Thu 18-Jun-15 12:50:32

I can run 9km without walking if there isnt a hill at a pace of around 6-6.30 as soon as i hit a hill im buggered! Always have been.
If running in a group i drive to meet others and aviod the hills where can, then when running from mine i struggle to get motivated as its all hills so lucky if can do 3-5km.
Just wondered if ill ever be able to run hills!

AggressiveBunting Thu 18-Jun-15 13:07:02

Shorten your stride- it helps a lot. Reduce/ relax your arm swing as well- not that helpful going up hill.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 18-Jun-15 17:53:02

You will be able to run them, it just takes time to build up stamina and strength. It will never feel easy though unless you are a mountain goat type

I think hills are harder near the start of a run because you aren't fully warmed up. They are also harder in the heat. I've been running for years but I'm struggling with my off road hilly routes at the moment because of the heat and hay fever.

Walking is the best advice but I struggle to do it myself. I tend to feel it's giving up but I know rationally walking breaks for the steep bits would mean maintaining a better place overall and almost certainly be quicker.

runtothehills Thu 18-Jun-15 22:02:04

Slow and steady is the key. Do run/walk to build up stamina as you would on the flat, and as Aggressive said, shorten you stride but try to keep the pace. As it gets steeper get onto your toes and think about pushing your knees up and into the hill. Best thing about hills is what goes up has to come down, and it is such a satisfying thing running to the top of a hill. Learn to embrace them not fear them grin

LavazzaLover Sat 20-Jun-15 20:56:33

I can run a mile in 8:45-9:20 flat or down hill. Give me a hill and its about 10:30!

To have a good run I go flat but use hills to train (and I loathe them!)

LavazzaLover Sat 20-Jun-15 20:58:45

Oh another great tip is use your arms!

Saz12 Sat 20-Jun-15 22:18:04

I've been trying to do specific hill training. So a once-a week, short session on a (witness-free!) hill, where I run up for 2 mins then jog down, then repeat, trying to get to the same place on the hill each time. I don't enjoy these sessions, and have not been conscientious about doing them, but they do help. I've also found a really lovely spot for a hilly run, (forestry commission tracks) which takes longer but when I have time is far more pleasant. I walk up lots of those hills, though!

Saz12 Sat 20-Jun-15 22:20:50

Ooh - and also, a mate of mine is always sickeningly enthusiastic about knackering workouts - as in "this is good, really getting the muscles working, all this will build great strength..." etc. It's irritating to hear.... But when I manage to convince myself to think that way rather than "Another big hill, I'll never get up that fecker, this is going to be really horrible..." then it makes me feel way better about it.

WeLoveHaribo Sun 21-Jun-15 20:57:43

When you say shorten your stride, I'm pretty suit I have a sort stride??
My average run cadence is 175spm
Max run cadence is 189spm
And my average stride length is 0.91m

I've worked hard on arms positioning, think lots of hill training is in order! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now