Talk

Advanced search

Running - getting from 5k to 10k - support and advice thread

(11 Posts)
Lottapianos Tue 16-Jun-15 14:03:47

Hi all, I've been running 5k about 3 times a week for ages now and have decided to increase my distance on my Saturday runs. 2 weeks ago, I went up to 3.5 miles and it was fine. Last Saturday, I was aiming for 4 miles but got so into it that I managed 4.3 smile I think I overdid it as was a bit stiff on Sunday. Aiming for 4.5 miles this weekend, and will continue adding half a mile each week until I get to 6.2 miles, sometimes in July all being well.

Any one else working towards 10k?

GammaDelta Sun 28-Jun-15 21:00:00

hi Lottapionis,
good effort. i am ring to run 10km. have the 3 park runs but yesterday managed to do 7.5km. Wanted to do 10 km but my lo was getting impatient.. I intend to do 12.5 this weekend if possible with maybe 3 6-7 km runs in the week.. all the best.

Lottapianos Wed 01-Jul-15 13:13:53

Hi Gamma, and thanks for reply. It's true what they say - going from 5 - 10 is much easier than going from 0- 5k. I did 5 miles last Saturday so should be up to 6.2 miles by mid July. The first 2 miles are the hardest by far, when your body is protesting and starting to warm up, but after that, you get into a rhythm and my mile time starts dropping. Such a great sense of achievement! Enjoy smile

Saz12 Wed 01-Jul-15 21:45:38

I've just got to 11k, and am v pleased! I did a "long" (for me) every week, increasing 10% per week for that run. Then 2 other runs - one hilly, one intervals.
It's way easier going from 5km to 10km than getting to 5km.

BlueChampagne Thu 02-Jul-15 13:23:06

The general advice is that you shouldn't increase distance by more than 10% a week, so your new plan should be sustainable, if you can avoid excessive heat!

Veteranrunner Sun 12-Jul-15 17:24:46

Hello lotta - I'm trying to do the same as you. Did C25K in Jan to May (bit slow as had an injury). Just done a 5k Race for Life and have entered for a 10k in December.

My training is all a bit haphazard at the moment as it depends on what DCs are doing when (chief taxi driver) but I'm now aiming to run 3 times a week and try to push the distance up. The furthest I've done so far is 6.8km.

What runs do you do each week? I keep looking at training plans on internet and getting bamboozled by the complexity of them all - they all assume that you can guarantee to do the same thing on the same day each week which just doesn't work for me.

I have got the Bridge to 10k podcasts which I've started following although I hate the music and the horrid bossy man with a passion. I wish Laura from C25k would do a 10k one. I love that woman.

Veteranrunner Sun 12-Jul-15 17:29:57

Forgot to say - one of my main problems is having to stop to go to the loo! I had to stop at 5.6k today because of loo emergency! Its very annoying.

mommybunny Wed 15-Jul-15 16:04:59

Veteran, I have two suggestions for you, if I may: first is that there is a "Bridge to 10K" app (free) by Zen Labs that lets you listen to your own music and each "change" (from warm-up to run, from run to walk, etc) is just a bell followed by a (very American) female voice very briefly saying "begin running" etc and that's all. No horrid bossy man. The second is a blog called "Shut up and Run" (also by an American, a marathoner) that has some excellent tips on avoiding loo emergencies by someone who has seen them all, by her own admission. The one I use most is to try hard as I can to get "regular" and make sure I go before I leave to run. I've known that 5.6km panic too! grin I'm training for a half marathon and am starting to worry I may need Immodium...

Good luck with the 10K, all.

FatRun Wed 15-Jul-15 17:19:59

Yes, me!

I did my first official 5k event at the very end of June (in 39:33). I am slow and fat but I'm working towards a 10k at the beginning of August.

I focus more on increasing my endurance rather than distance (not for any particular reason), so I'm increasing my runs by about 5 minutes a week at the moment.

Am finding it tough although my last few runs have been treadmill runs so I think it's more boredom than anything else!

bangingthedrums Wed 15-Jul-15 17:28:16

I did this by running a park run or 5k every week and trying to get faster each time and also by doing a longer run each week - each one a km more than the previous week. I can now plod run 10k in an hour

penguinschmenguin Sun 19-Jul-15 14:25:57

I find running really hard but am slowly starting to enjoy it.....eventually! I run 5k 2-3 times a week and am hoping to do my first 10k in September/October. The furthest I've ran has been 5miles and I've signed up for a few more 5 mile runs over August. The competitiveness does put me off a bit, I'm slow and plodding and will no doubt be last

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now