Talk

Advanced search

Need helping toning 'saddlebags'

(10 Posts)
GinSoakedBitchyPony Sat 13-Jun-15 10:50:18

just typing the word gives me the rage.

I can't run. Open to anything else.

Outwith Sat 13-Jun-15 10:54:53

I find they slim down as you lose weight. I run. What exercise do you like doing?

GinSoakedBitchyPony Sat 13-Jun-15 12:22:16

I enjoy most exercise, have a treadmill and set of weights at home. I do some yoga.
I just think that whatever I'm doing isn't targetting my quads well enough to help tone them a bit more.
I can't run on the treadmill but was wondering if increasing the incline may help to work my quads better. Or more squats, better technique or a differnt form of resistance exercise in the area.
Perhaps a few sessions with a PT is the way to go, to improve my form and really educate me on exercising quads.

Outwith Sat 13-Jun-15 13:14:42

Ah, okay - you're actually really clued up (more so than me grin). I once read that they don't begin to disappear until a certain body fat %age. So, I expected this, but I actually felt that they just started to disappear when I started to lose weight.

mrsnoon Sat 13-Jun-15 13:21:38

Mine started to go as I lost weight from everywhere else too. I'd be wary of trying to work your quads even more, in my experience that just bulks your thigh area up more. I'm working more on using my cross trainer at a more moderate pace for a longer period. You don't see many long distance runners with chunky thighs but sprinters are normally quite bulky.

CadiM Sun 14-Jun-15 13:50:27

I've been a regular walker for ages but this month I'm doing a walking challenge at work, upping my steps to at least 20,000 a day and my saddles bags have definitely decreased a lot in two weeks. I've picked up my speed and made sure I get a good slope in there each day and use my stepper at home.

IronMaggie Mon 15-Jun-15 22:51:38

Are saddlebags just carrying extra weight on your lower body? Anything that reduces body fat should help. Eating a balanced diet and managing intake is the main thing, and high intensity exercise and strength training may be a quicker way to reduce bf levels. But I always say do the types of exercise you'll enjoy and can keep up long-term.

GinSoakedBitchyPony Wed 17-Jun-15 00:16:09

Just a quick update in case anyone else comes across this thread during a search.
I saw a PT today who pointed out that the 'saddlebags' are worse on one side than the other. I had a knee injury some time ago and he thinks my quads - specifically rectus femoris and vastus medialis - on that leg are weak from the knee injury, which was never really treated properly. He's advised me to see a physiotherapist for some rehab exercises for my knee and quads.

CMOTDibbler Wed 17-Jun-15 08:46:41

Go cycling - hard, and especially hills will tone your quads really well

GinSoakedBitchyPony Wed 17-Jun-15 09:05:22

Dibbler, I'm too nervous too ride a bike on roads, but would definitely consider an exercise bike at home. Do you know which is better, a regular sit on one or a recumbent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now