Talk

Advanced search

Body image

(11 Posts)
CurlyTot72 Wed 10-Jun-15 13:22:22

Please can anyone let me know how they deal with going swimming? I am 1.5 stones overweight and despite exercising regularly for a long time I'm very untoned and very body conscious. I go to physically demanding exercise classes which I don't enjoy as much anymore (I'm now 43) and much prefer yoga and swimming (and these classes never appeared to do much for my body tone). In fact, I love being in the water and feel so happy after I've swam but I have such negative body image. I wear swimming shorts over my costume and still feel conscious about my arms. I've the option of going to free swimming each month before work which will lift me so much but it's women and men. I feel that I know I'll look ridiculous wearing a t-shirt over my shorts and I know this will be uncomfortable when actually swimming so I'm just posting (my first post please be gentle!) to ask how other women feel about this.

I'm not a selfie obsessed lovie who thinks of nothing but their own reflection. I'm someone who has very low self esteem which isn't getting any better the older I'm getting and I wish I could just say I don't call and not worry about what other people think. I just want to know how other women deal with this. Thanks in advance.

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 10-Jun-15 14:14:05

Demanding exercise classes will only do so much. The rest is food related I was where you are and couldn't shift the last stone until I changed my way of eating . I also stopped doing the pointless classes and hit the weights. Now I've sculpted a body that I was searching for. You can do it it's not easy but it is worth it .

Lottapianos Wed 10-Jun-15 14:22:02

Hi Curly, I was probably a couple of stone overweight when I started running. I worried about jiggling about and looking silly and all the rest of it. Then I realised that actually other people were far too preoccupied with how they were looking to notice me!

It does take a bit of a leap of faith but I would ditch the t-shirt and shorts and just front it out in a swimsuit. I promise you that no-one will take a blind bit of notice. The more often you do it, the more your confidence will grow. And there is nothing in the world like exercise for boosting your self esteem, giving you a sense of achievement and making you feel proud of yourself.

I do agree with Little about diet. I have lost 3 dress sizes in the last couple of years and I would say it was mostly due to cutting down on sugar. Someone on here once wrote that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise and that sounds about right to me. Good luck and enjoy it smile

CurlyTot72 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:47:17

Thank you both. I lost weight about six years ago on weight watchers which I've kept off but have never been able to lose the last stone. I totally agree about changing my eating habits as I've realised it doesn't matter how hard I work at the gym if I'm not eating healthy food. I did work with a personal trainer last year which completely focused on weight training and I really got into great shape but still had dimply legs which maybe got a slight bit of a better shape but which were still untoned the same as my arms. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your advice which I'll heed.

Littlepumpkinpie Thu 11-Jun-15 11:02:03

there are good and bad PTs if you didn't see much definition you should of questioned them. Muscle gain or toned as you put it comes from fat loss diet as well as training it's not instant it takes a lot of time to get what we want then you have to keep at it. Good luck curly you can do this

caitlinohara Thu 11-Jun-15 11:53:07

Please don't let this stop you doing something you enjoy. I know others hated the "this girl can" video but I found it really inspirational (check it out on youtube if you haven't seen it).

I would agree that diet is key here if you want to tone up - I cut out sugar (mostly blush) and upped the protein and that has really helped me in terms of toning, but it's a slow process and really you need to accept the way you are and think of it more from a fitness point of view than how you actually look.

The fact is though that whatever their weight, most people at the pool will be far too busy worrying about their own cellulite/wobbly thighs/boobs etc to care! flowers

Lottapianos Thu 11-Jun-15 11:55:36

So true Catlin - aim for fitness, feeling stronger, having more energy and the weight loss will take care of itself

TriJo Thu 11-Jun-15 11:58:19

Nobody gives a flying fig when you're at a public swim session. Go in and get it done, you will be fine. Wearing extra layers over your swimsuit will only add drag and hold you back in the water.

You could also consider looking into your local masters swim club if you are up for a relatively physically demanding workout - there will be plenty of women your age at the sessions and you'll really improve your swimming. Generally the club will have the pool booked out for their session and everyone will be too focused on their workout to care about anything else.

CurlyTot72 Thu 11-Jun-15 17:18:03

Thanks all. I did question and eventually stop going to see the PT. I also cut sugar out and saw results on the scales but not long term enough re body tone.

Sorry for the negative post but I'm probably feeling a bit more self critical as my very short marriage ended abruptly and I'm dealing with that so I probably need to be a bit kinder to myself than I am.

And I also can't figure out how to thank you or quote replies so thanks all.

I'll take your good advice on board, thanks.

SwearyGodmother Thu 11-Jun-15 17:23:02

I read a quote in a book once which I repeat to myself when I'm feeling self conscious - "Nobody is thinking about you, they're thinking about themselves, just like you are" - could applying that and a bit of a "fuck it" attitude as you enjoy swimming help? Seriously, you don't need to be self conscious when you're swimming - you're there to exercise, not to pose and anyone who's not a douchebag won't care what you wear/how you look. Be kind to yourself.

Pontus17 Thu 11-Jun-15 18:33:28

Do you look and judge everyone else when they are in their swimsuits?
I'm guessing probably not, I don't, and I don't think anyone does either. It definitely sounds like a general confidence issue as you mentioned a short marriage ending abruptly. Keep swimming and wearing more clothes will only make you feel more self concious. Enjoy it, and enjoy the feeling that it gives you afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now