Talk

Advanced search

Sit-up equipment

(10 Posts)
Mytribeof3 Tue 09-Jun-15 21:01:27

Hi. I really want to do something about my stomach which is in need of toning up after the birth of my third baby almost 17 months ago. The rest of my figure I'm reasonably happy with. Just wondered if anyone can recommend sit-up equipment that might help as I struggle just doing them and fancy some sort of aid if that makes sense?! Anyone used anything that has helped or any other suggestions for toning up my stomach would be gratefully received. Thank you.

TalkinPeace Tue 09-Jun-15 21:58:35

You need to get to the point that you do not need any equipment ....

Start with leg slides ...
lie on your back, heels and knees together
slide your heels in till they get to your bum and then curl your legs over your tummy
and reverse
and repeat

then do crunches ....
lie in your back, knees bent, feet flat on the floor, arms stretched by your sides
lift head and shoulders, reaching fingers towards toes, hold for two, down again and repeat

then to bicycle twists .....
lie on your back, thighs vertical, shins horizontal, knees above hips
finger tips behind ears, elbows wide in line with ears
lift head and shoulders and rotate upper body without closing elbows in
at same time drop one tow to the floor
reverse and repeat

after a couple of weeks of that you'll be able to do non momentum controlled sit ups no hassle
grin

yumyumpoppycat Wed 10-Jun-15 11:16:05

Mytribe I used to have one like this when I was in my early 20s, www.amazon.co.uk/wondering-would-tummy-into-shape/forum/FxS182MEHKVCU/Tx2IO8187LYBKSQ/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0090287RW, not sure if it worked, I certainly wasn't ripped but felt like it did something. Now I do workouts with ab stuff in. TBH I think you can get abs without situps by using your core in diff ways www.amazon.co.uk/Shaun-Hip-Hop-Fitness-Programme/dp/B001M508N6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433931257&sr=8-1&keywords=hip+hop+abs but I am too flabby to testify if that's the case. You might want to add in some really good tummy massage with essential oils or palmers coca butter or something too?

TIP I always see those weird adds that you shouldn't do bicycle twists, wdyt? I hate hate hate ab work and can't sit up at all maybe I should do a systematic approach like that.

yumyumpoppycat Wed 10-Jun-15 11:16:59

PS only get that dvd if you are coordinated and like dancy workouts!

Mytribeof3 Wed 10-Jun-15 12:36:13

Thank you for your replies. Will check out your links yumyumpoppycat.
Talkinpeace - thanks for taking the time to explain where I should begin, very helpful.

TalkinPeace Wed 10-Jun-15 17:50:08

yumy
bicycle twists can lead to back injuries if
- they are done quickly
- people try to have their leg out straight before their ab muscles are strong enough to support their lower back
- they pull on their heads

done the slow pilates / yoga way they are pretty safe

mytribe
there are some fab videos online that require no kit at all ... the Jillian Michaels ones are very popular

yumyumpoppycat Wed 10-Jun-15 18:33:45

Thanks TIP that makes sense

MrsMook Wed 10-Jun-15 19:11:44

Have your stomach muscles come back together? You can check by lifting gently into a crunch and feeling if there's a gap above your tummy button. If it's less than two fingers, abs work is Ok. If it's greater than that, it's too weak for crunches and sit ups.

TalkinPeace Wed 10-Jun-15 19:56:50

Mrsmook
many people's muscles never part, but those leg slides are what my yoga leader teaches her post natal ladies smile

louloubelle2 Fri 12-Jun-15 18:47:39

You don't need any equipment. Youtube search for fitnessblender and do one of their 10 min abs workouts every other day.

One of the trainers at my gym taught me this for at home; do each one for 30 seconds, with 30 secs rest in between, then repeat for 3 sets. Its interval training style so important to attack it not do it slowly.

1.Mountain climber planks with straight arms.
2.Straight arm plank
3.Crunches, elbows to knees, ideally with feet off the floor, but on the floor if you can't.

Also remember that any exercise done properly will strengthen your core, so might be worth looking at all round fitness dvds, classes or youtube videos for internal training and cardio workouts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now