Talk

Advanced search

Overweight and running

(8 Posts)
MissMalteser Sun 07-Jun-15 21:24:06

Hi everyone I am a complete novice to more or less any type of exercise but have taken the plunge and purchased a treadmill which I'm determined won't end up as a clothes hanger!
I am very overweight at the minute at around 14 and a half stone so I am also tackling my diet which is coming along nicely but I also am shocked at how little I can complete on the treadmill.
At the start I could only manage around 15 minutes but have worked up to 25 every day, I also can only manage to run in 2.5 minute increments, so 2.5 at 7.5k speed then 2.5 at 6k, in 25 minutes I am averaging only 2.5 distance in total but I know I am pushing myself as when I get off I am totally sweating and seeing stars!
I am just hoping for some reassurance that this is enough? I would ideally like to be able to manage half an hour every day but with focus on increasing the overall speed and distance I can cover?

Wobblystraddle Sun 07-Jun-15 21:32:11

That sounds awesome - well done so far. It takes real determination to get where you have got.

I'd recommend trying the same overall amount in time running, but make the length of time you run for a little longer e.g. 3 minutes at 7.5k, with 2 at 6k, gradually increasing running time and decreasing walking time. See couch25k fir an idea of how to do this.

MissMalteser Sun 07-Jun-15 21:49:20

Thanks for the advice wobbly, I am definitely determined, it's only been just over 2 weeks but I genuinely feel the benefit already in weight loss, energy levels etc
I just have no idea if I'm going the right way to keep pushing myself and also for weight loss which is definitely my main motivation for now!

Wobblystraddle Sun 07-Jun-15 21:53:43

I think you are smile

Singleandproud Sun 07-Jun-15 22:02:46

Exercise is brilliant for your mind and tightening up your body, but not so great for weight loss as you can't out exercise a poor diet but it sounds like you are dealing with this.

Don't take too much notice of the scales as the first few months your body is going through a huge transition of building muscle etc which will make it look like you are putting on weight. I prefer to take measurements once a week and track them instead.

An app like Fat Secret or My Fitness Pal are great for understanding and keeping track of how much you are eating. Body Map is a great app for recording your body measurements and plots them on a geaph so you can see how much you have lost.

I'd give another vote for Couch to 5k there are lots of apps out there but the NHS podcast is particularly good. Jillian Michaels DVDs are also very good and her podcasts are really interesting and cover lots of topics but she is a very inspirational women who might help you keep on track.

HelenF350 Sun 07-Jun-15 22:07:08

Thoroughly recommend couch to 5k. I couldn't run 5 yards when I started. I was 16 stone 12 and had just stopped smoking. Less than a year later I was 10 stone 7 (wish I could say I still was but I am 37 weeks pregnant!) and could run 10k in around 50 mins. Keep going, you WILL get there if you believe you can. grin

LapsedTwentysomething Sun 07-Jun-15 22:52:38

I'm 14st and have just started back. I used to run and I find C25k a bit frustrating. Instead I'm doing as much as I can manage then taking a 2 min walking break. Within a week I can do 10 mins without stoping but it's slow. I don't care just as long as I'm doing it.

One outdoor running tip that's made a difference to me is that Under Armour do looser-fitting women's tshirts. I hated bring out there in Lycra vests for all to see and feel almost invisible now grin

LapsedTwentysomething Sun 07-Jun-15 22:53:40

By the way, 2.5k in 25 mins seems pretty quick as a starting point to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now