Talk

Advanced search

Do you run when on hols abroad?

(10 Posts)
macnab Fri 05-Jun-15 13:21:53

We're going to Spain at the start of July. It will be hot. I currently run 5k every second day and I'd like to try and run when away to keep up my fitness (afraid if I stop I'll never go back to it!) and to counter the effects of all the food & booze!

Am I mad to think I might be able to run in the heat? I can't do early morning runs, I am used to running at night. Am hoping I can find a route near the sea and run along that, praying for a sea breeze! And realistically will probably run every third night.

Any tips for me? Thanks!

macnab Fri 05-Jun-15 13:23:36

Sorry just to add when I say night I mean around 8pm

carrie74 Sat 06-Jun-15 08:46:18

Yes, but usually in the morning before breakfast so as not to get in the way of the rest of the day. I don't run as far as I would at home or as frequently, but do it to keep my hand in.

I would find evening a tricky time: you're about to go out for dinner, possibly knackered after the day's outings or whatever. But on holiday most mornings I wake up early-ish and excited, so it's a great way of using that energy!

macnab Sat 06-Jun-15 10:08:38

Thanks. Maybe I'll try a morning run and see how I get on. I'm used to running on hills a lot and I think where we're going is quite flat do am hoping this will make it a bit easier for me!

lastqueenofscotland Sat 06-Jun-15 11:49:03

Yep but first thing before anyone else is awake

fredabear Sat 06-Jun-15 14:34:03

first thing here too, then I can relax and enjoy the day ahead, always cooler too and fewer people around!

Mutley77 Sat 06-Jun-15 14:49:55

Yes I have to do some exercise when on holiday. I prefer a gym as it's more flexible in terms of timing (aircon!) - so can fit it in even if it's during toddler's lunchtime nap and boiling hot. I generally just use 2 or 3 machines for 15 mins each.

Or I use an app like PT in my pocket or 7 minute workout in the bedroom/suite/villa/appartment.

Running has to be early morning on holiday IMO as if it gets to 5 I am more minded to be showering and having a glass of wine than exercising!

lastqueenofscotland Sat 06-Jun-15 20:24:31

I think first thing is the best. I do the same with my reallyong runs, leaves you with the rest if your day and if the wheels fall off and it all goes wrong you've wasted an early morning not a whole day.

Wobblystraddle Sun 07-Jun-15 21:36:10

Yes, and I run first thing too. I couldn't run after a day of eating and sightseeing. I also feel safer.

Littlepumpkinpie Mon 08-Jun-15 18:29:56

I don't run but I always exercise very early anyway. So my gym time has no impact on family time even when we go on holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now