Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So unfit!!!

(11 Posts)
sarahlux Thu 04-Jun-15 20:11:19

I'm massively overweight and wanting to lose about 7 stone.

Eating healthy and have managed to lose just over a stone.

Joined a gym and am shocked as to how unfit I am. First session was on Wednesday and managed 5 mins on the treadmill, bike and cross trainer. Had another session this evening and managed 10 minutes on each of the machines.

So the point of the post is can any recommend what sort of machines I need to be doing to lose weight. I'm also going swimming too.

AnyoneForTennis Thu 04-Jun-15 20:17:13

I'm not a fan of the treadmill ... Outside in the fresh air is my style!

Weights are good. Some ab and core work, maybe some classes?

I lost 5 stone a few years ago by eating low carb. I still eat this way and have kept it off. I even ran London marathon recently. Never thought that would happen! Good luck, you can do this. Do you have a plan drawn up? Have an aim and little goals along the way, they keep you motivated.

KatharineClifton Thu 04-Jun-15 20:20:30

30 minutes exercise is great! I used to like the rowing machine when I went, exercises total body and it's ok to just sit on it to rest when needed. Weights I also used to enjoy.

WLmum Thu 04-Jun-15 20:21:43

I'd say your doing tremendously well already - you've made a great start and already doubled your endurance! Adding 5 mins a session is a great way to build up without risking injury or getting so exhausted that you get put off. You could try interval training where you go as fast as you reasonably can for 2 mins, then slow for 1 min for a break, then 2 fast again and repeat. You can change the fast/slow pattern as you get fitter.
Keep a record so you can look back and see how far you've come.

TalkinPeace Thu 04-Jun-15 22:13:14

The main thing is to exercise just hard enough that you are too out of breath to talk

Walking out in the fresh air - slightly faster than you'd like

Swimming : as hard as you can
Toning : try pilates and yoga as they will get all of your muscles working
bodypumps is great - keep your weight slight
if there is a HIIT class, have a go at that

if you have a real bicycle, try going out for bike rides

sarahlux Fri 05-Jun-15 09:16:26

I don't really have a plan...tbh I don't even really think I know what I'm doing lol.

It's just the council gym I have joined and I have a session with an instructor on Wednesday to do a programme so hopefully that will help.

Aqua aerobics this lunch time. Wish me luck smile

Fairygodfucker Fri 05-Jun-15 09:34:19

Well done so far! To borrow a phrase from the c25k programme, as long as you do something it's still more then sitting on the sofa smile

I'm in pretty much the same position as you. I need to lose a lot of weight too. I got myself a membership and went swimming for the first time in about 20 years yesterday. I managed about 100m (4 lengths) before I headed back to the changing room a shaking, quivering embarrassed wreck! Tomorrow I'll do it again and hopefully manage at least one more length. And when I get a bit fitter I'll start using a swimming programme similar to the c25k.

Enjoy your aqua aerobics star

BlueChampagne Fri 05-Jun-15 12:47:02

Well done sarahlux one step at a time.

sarahlux Tue 09-Jun-15 20:09:03

Aqua fit was good smile did struggle a bit with it though as it was quite intense at parts.

Thinking about the couch to 5k, can anyone recommend a good app for the iPhone

BlueChampagne Wed 10-Jun-15 13:02:26

I use MapMyRun as it covers more than running and is free. I think the NHS C25K programme is generally recommended.

NathalieM Fri 12-Jun-15 10:57:18

The fact that you've made a start is an achievement in itself, and from what you've written you've made a very good start.

I would also recommended a brisk walk as often as possible, a great work-out which can be achieved with minimal effort. Ditch the car!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now