Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about grips for parallel bars?

(4 Posts)
WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sun 31-May-15 13:16:42

I've been doing pull up things at home on a bar, it hurts the pads on my hands though. It occurred to me that the grips gymnasts use when they do the parallel bars might help with this as presumably that's what they're designed for. Does anyone have any advice on makes / sizes or anything? I know literally nothing about this grin and looking online there is a fair bit of choice and beginner and advanced ones so I'm not really sure what to get.

TIA smile

MitsoTsukahara Sun 31-May-15 13:30:07

Hi, I know all about grips, I have a manky old pair in my loft, in a petrified state from not being used for 23 years, ha ha! I really don't think they will help you with the pain you get from doing pull-ups, though - that to me sounds like the pain of growing new muscles - yes, even in your hands. The grips gymnasts use are for protection from the friction caused by swinging, to minimise skin tearing. I would say save your money and get tougher as you get stronger!

NorbertDentressangle Sun 31-May-15 13:37:48

DD uses ones like this for gymnastics - there's a fitting/sizing guide on that page too.

She uses them on the asymmetric bars as her hands would get sore/almost blistered without them (and that's with her doing more hanging around and small swings on the bars than full-on swinging IYSWIM). She gets on fine with them and they protect her hands well.

WhirlpoolGalaxyM51 Sun 31-May-15 13:50:42

Thanks both for the replies! I think at a tenner I can afford to give them a try thanks Norbert, and certainly mitso there is muscle to be built! There is a bit of swinging around involved so I reckon it's worth a shot - my arms and wrists and so on feel fine bit it just hurts the pads of my hands!

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now