Talk

Advanced search

Getting back into an exercise routine with back problems?

(5 Posts)
EmGee Thu 21-May-15 17:22:58

I've done little or no exercise since DD2 arrived three years ago. I walk most days (school run), bit of scooting, cycling but always with the kids so it's not really like exercise. In the distant past I've been a gym member and done classes (in my single and child free days), done various DVDs - Shred, 10 minute series, Pilates and walking etc.

However, my back has been giving me trouble these last few years and I really notice it more and more. I really need to get exercising again but just don't know where to start.

I'm a SAHM at the mo and have my youngest at home with me.

Dh is a fitness fanatic and has a spinning bike, does an exercise routine every night (kind of JM/circuit type thing). He's given up on me but I don't think he really appreciates my back problems.

Last time I tried the Shred my back hurt sad

Any ideas? I have a sort of slipped disc type condition and have recently had some physio (didn't do much good really; physio said I was incredibly unsupple!). So I really need to be careful with my back. The doc said no high impact exercise like running.

Bit tricky for me to get to a pool due to childcare.

I would, in an ideal world, go to a Pilates class but haven't found one near me which fits in with childcare. Could be an option from September though.

Anyone with similar problems have any advice or motivating stories? Am sorely lacking in the motivational department.......but really want to get started. I know I'll feel much better for it.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 21-May-15 17:27:01

Could you try swimming - I have back problems and NEVER do any high impact excercise as it "jarrs my back". I find swimming and Pilates really help. Does your pool have an evening session - can't DH mind the kids and give HIS exercise routine a miss one or even two nights a week for you to do yours.....

Pointlessfan Thu 21-May-15 17:30:29

I was going to suggest Pilates - where are you based? The instructor I go to does classes in evenings and Saturdays and also private sessions at her home.

BlueChampagne Fri 22-May-15 22:12:25

Swimming's not always ideal for back pain. When I had lower back problems, my osteo told me to make sure I swam crawl not breast stroke. However, cycling seems to have been beneficial. Can you fit in some brisker, longer bike rides without the kids?

Elliptic5 Fri 22-May-15 22:20:27

I had a prolapsed disc and, after months of physio that didn't make much difference long term, I was advised to try Pilates - which really helped. Four years later I now swim, cycle and do other water based classes.
I really wish I'd tried more Aqua classes earlier as I think these, particularly Aqua deep, have made a big improvement to my back strength.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now