Talk

Advanced search

What the perfect ratio of cardio, weights and stretch?

(6 Posts)
Karbea Tue 19-May-15 11:33:35

I've been doing a bit of bikram yoga since the new year, but I'd like to introduce so me other things.
I remember reading years ago about exercise 6 days a week and having a rest day and doing a certain amount of cardio, weights etc but I can't remember how many days of each you should do.
Do you know what the perfect ratio is?
Thank you.

suzannecanthecan Tue 19-May-15 15:53:34

imo it's going to vary from person to person, also difficult to quantify, do you mean in terms of time, frequency or intensity?

Karbea Tue 19-May-15 16:25:42

I guess in terms of what your body needs to stay fit and in shape.
If you only did cardio you'd lose weight initially but you'd body would get used to it and you'd stop losing weight. You wouldn't build up muscle (part from in your legs) which obviously isn't ideal.
Maybe I'm talking rubbish :/

suzannecanthecan Tue 19-May-15 16:36:53

what is optimal will vary from person to person.
Imo for optimal long term good health it is important to have a good amount of muscle tissue and that requires strength training, some people gain muscle easily some don't
Next I would put enough cardio to keep you cardio vascular system in good shape, again the amount required will vary from person to person.

I'm not sure that yoga is really going to do all that much good.

There has been much debate on this subject and I don't think there is any real consensus in the scientific or any other community.
There is some evidence to suggest that prolonged high intensity endurance exercise can damage the heart

sleepwhenidie Tue 19-May-15 16:57:46

It also depends what your goals are too of course, do you want to run faster/longer, lift heavier, build muscle, burn fat...

MrsMook Tue 19-May-15 21:13:19

Anything is good for wellbeing, but beyond that it will depend on what outcome you want. Mo Farah will have different needs to Usain Bolt even within roughly the same sport.

Ultimately it's got to be something you'll sustain and be interested in.

Yoga is good for strength - I used to notice the benefits when hiking from yoga more than step. Some cardio would be a good compliment to that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now