Talk

Advanced search

Runner with clicking knees

(4 Posts)
irishseas Mon 18-May-15 13:25:39

I did the couch to 5k about 2 years ago and was running consistently after that. However I stopped about 6 months ago because I noticed that my knees were ‘clicking’ a lot, mainly when going up and down stairs. They still click, but less than they did. They don’t hurt so I’ve never bothered going to the doctor.

I really miss running and want to get back to it. I can’t face another type of exercise, running was the only thing I’ve enjoyed and that suits my lifestyle. However, I’m worried about damaging my knees (I’m 39 so I hope to have them for a while!), I’ve seen people running with knee supports – would they help? Or do I have to face defeat and take up yoga (which I hate!).

Irishseas

BlueChampagne Tue 19-May-15 16:41:48

Can't persuade you into cycling, then? Kinder on the knees.

MrsMook Tue 19-May-15 21:34:27

What state were your trainers in?
I go to an osteopath for my various gremlins (I'm like a lucky dip, each month has a new surprise).

Strength work would probably help, and making sure you have a good stretch after. You don't have to resort to yoga. I do my stretches on the door step, it's a useful prop and avoids me getting distracted which is inevitable when I get into the house.

BitterChocolate Tue 19-May-15 21:41:33

I'm not a runner and I'm a decade older than you, but I have been very clicky for a long while (ankles, knees and hips). I take krill oil capsules and it really reduces the noise, almost cuts it out completely. It's very noticeable that if I don't take the capsules for a week or so then the clicks come back and if I take them again then the clicks go away. It might be that your clicks weren't cause by the running, just made more noticeable because of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now