Talk

Advanced search

Yesterday I had my first experience of 'runners trots'...

(13 Posts)
cheapandcheerful Mon 18-May-15 13:18:56

What the heck IS it with that???

I didn't even know it was a THING!!!

...until I got home and googled it after doing the mother of all poos

MrsMook Tue 19-May-15 21:38:20

I've found that I have to avoid dairy in the hours before and after runs. I've been much better since then.

My HM time should be easy to smash now I don't have to visit each portaloo!

GlowWine Wed 20-May-15 22:39:57

Ah yes, I have been known to emergency cut short a run and stop off at home (if on a circular route 'round the block'), or only just make it home, had to walk the last bit and clench... blush. Didn't know that there was a word for it though! Now I find that doing the running first thing in the morning before breakfast means I'm less prone to it.

lastqueenofscotland Wed 20-May-15 22:50:41

don't eat breakfast and make sure you before if you run early!
Also i think gels etc if you use them make it worse.
Weirdly never get it if i go in the evening.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 21-May-15 20:14:53

It's hideous, I've run for a few years and still suffer regularly.

I avoid caffeine and dairy before a long run. I know within a mile or two if I'm going to be in trouble normally so I'll adjust my route to one with loos if necessary. I hate when I've planned a lovely off road run and have to divert but it's better than being caught short.

I fell over once while racing home for the loo. Really injured myself tooblush Oddly enough the urge passed as I was lying on the floor in a heap of pain and bloodhmm

cheapandcheerful Thu 21-May-15 21:23:02

In a way it's reassuring that it's not just me, but also discouraging that there doesn't seem to be much of a solution (other than stopping running or keeping tedious food diaries).

It was so horrid the other day. The stomach cramps were so bad and I nearly had to go in a bush blush...

lastqueenofscotland Thu 21-May-15 21:56:28

One thing that tends to help (though probably if you only get it in long runs...) is high carb low fibre stuff? So mac and cheese/white toast etc

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 22-May-15 08:16:18

Over time you just tend to learn what triggers it. I don't pay much attention to what I eat for breakfast except on long run days when I always eat toast or crumpets. And I avoid wine the night before my long run.

I often think for me it's just anxiety about my long run. Will I make the distance, legs feel tired kind of thing.....Which is a bit daft because I normally run the same distance and always do it, but I think it's subconscious and it triggers my digestion.

26Point2Miles Fri 22-May-15 12:03:48

Imodium is your friend ladies..

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 22-May-15 14:13:45

No, it really isn't 26point2. I suffer week in, week out from runners trots, taking Imodium regularly would mess up my bowels big time.

I took immodium before my marathon and I'll do it again next time but that's it. It really cannot be good to take it frequently. I didn't poo for a week after my marathonshock

cheapandcheerful Sat 23-May-15 19:26:35

Well last night I nervously went out for my first run since last week's horrid experience and I was fine. I am really worried about it happening again though... Thankfully last time I was only 5 mins away from home when it kicked in but next time?

ChrissieLatham Mon 25-May-15 00:45:05

I had this experience this evening and it totally ruined my run as had to walk. However wanted to run so I could get home earlier! Was so desperate to go in a bush but just my luck a dog walker would probably come along!

KarenVivian Mon 25-May-15 22:54:19

I have a big problem with this. Its usually worse in the evening and recently I have taken to making sure there is a loo on my run about 25 minutes into it. But this is a bit annoying as I like doing cross country routes which don't have handy loos en route. I want to do a race later this year that's going to take longer than that and am wondering how to manage it.

I tried taking a mild laxative to make sure I'd gone before I started IYSWIM but that left me feeling a bit dehydrated and not like running at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now