Couch to 5k

(42 Posts)
lovecake Wed 29-Apr-15 13:17:33

I have started couch to 5k and I am finding it really hard. I am repeating week 1for a
second week as I cannot contemplate 90 seconds of running. I do manage to complete each running section in week one (8 lots of 60seconds) but I find it really difficult.
My question is (1) will it get easier? (2) should I wait till I find it easier to move to week 2 or do I just go for it?

ReluctantCamper Wed 29-Apr-15 13:22:39

I've just finished week 2. I think you do need to stretch yourself a bit, but if you're rally struggling with the 60 seconds in week 1, repeating it sounds like a good idea, as you don't want this to be a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Don't forget you get 2 minutes of walking between runs in week 2. I've found that I pretty much have my breath back by the end of the walking period (at least for the first few reps).

I'm loving it as it's a cast iron reason to get 30 mins to myself 3 times a week!

Hope it goes well for you.

nottheOP Wed 29-Apr-15 14:20:23

I tend to have a just do it type attitude but I'm doing the program for the second time and now have a bit more belief in myself. My only tip is to go really really slowly. I tell myself to slow down. Once you have done the run/very slow jog, you can improve upon your time as you get fitter but the most important thing for me is just doing it.

Try to not think about how long you have left. Just one foot in front of the other until she tells you to stop. I listen to the radio and a good tune or discussion can really help to distract you.

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Apr-15 14:37:22

If you need to repeat a week at any stage, that's fine, there's no rush. I didn't repeat weeks, but I did leave two days between runs to give my body more time to recover. It took me 11 weeks to complete instead of 9, but that was fine by me.

It could be that you need to slow down a bit. The mistake lots of people make at the beginning is going too fast. A slow, gentle, comfortable jog is perfect. The most important thing is that you go at a pace that allows you to finish each 30 minute run without killing yourself. Speed can come later.

C25K is planned really well so that the weeks gradually build on each other to increase your fitness and endurance, and you might find you can do week 2 without a bother. But if you can't, it really doesn't matter if you repeat a week - it'll all help your fitness in the long term.

Oh, and yes it does get easier smile

lovecake Wed 29-Apr-15 14:50:38

Thank you, you have encouraged me a lot. Trust me, going too fast is never going to a problem for me!
I think 'nottheOP' hit the nail on the head, it is more about attitude for me and I need to be more positive about this.
Thank you all.

vikinglights Wed 29-Apr-15 19:09:38

I agree with what the others say
the important thing is just doing it, I've found it hard every time I've gone out (and I'm going s...l....o.....w...) but I just keep telling myself it doesn't have to be fast, it doesn't have to be fun, it just has to be done.

today I did w6r2 which is pretty miraculous as far as I am concerned. Keep going, If I can do it the pretty much anyone can

lovecake Wed 29-Apr-15 22:10:36

Oh no, this is what I feared- week six and still finding it hard. I had hoped to get to the point where I enjoyed going out for a run, but I just don't see that happening.
It is comforting to know I am not alone though.

Thetallestsunflower Wed 29-Apr-15 22:13:01

Keep at it. I didn't follow C25K as much but kind of worked my own way up to 5k. I am now working on a 5 to 10k program. I have gone from being able to barely run to the end of the road to running for 30 minutes. xxx

nottheOP Thu 30-Apr-15 09:06:13

It's a funny one love. I really don't enjoy any kind of exercise but I do feel a huge sense of achievement when I've completed a run. Quite frankly, it's usually a mix of being amazed that I've lasted until she says to slow down and then relief that it's done.

I really wish I enjoyed exercise but I'll just have to stick with wanting to be fit and there's only one way to achieve that!!

vikinglights Thu 30-Apr-15 11:41:48

I suppose theoretically its possible I might start to actively enjoy it, although my track record probably suggests it's not likely. But I'm OK with that, its a short time (max 40 mins) 3 times a week, and I'm definitely getting fitter so it's doing what its meant to. If I start actively enjoying it I'll be thrilled, but I'm OK with just getting on with it.

I think that weirdly that means I'm more likely to keep it up because I'm not disapointed I don't love it. The better fitness is a good payback in itself.

UmBongo Sat 02-May-15 21:06:48

I am just about to start C25K again, the first time I did it, every time I went on to the next week I thought I would expire, but amazingly your body and the plan know stuff you don't know yourself!

I'm with NottheOP I don't really enjoy exercise, but I do enjoy having done it! I am not fast, regularly get overtaken by elderly snails.

Good luck all

lovecake Mon 04-May-15 15:11:39

Thanks for your messages, it is encouraging. Well I did week 2, day 1 this morning. I managed to run each 90 second section. I was really pleased with myself. Even though I am sure, by the end, my running was slower than my walking speed!!

DramaAlpaca Mon 04-May-15 15:15:56

Oh well done lovecake!

You might find your next run in Week 2 is tougher than the first one, many people do, but the third run will be easier.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 04-May-15 15:16:26

Just keep reminding yourself, it doesn't matter how slow you run, as long as you keep running. Speed can come later. Sometimes you will be running slower than walking pace, and that's fine. Good luck!

AliaMairns Mon 11-May-15 17:40:54

I'm thinking of trying this, a bit worried though as I suffer with my back when doing anything with too much impact.

Might sound a silly question but I've heard this is a podcast? Do they play music during the 90 seconds of running etc? confused

lovecake Mon 11-May-15 22:04:15

Alia- I would honestly go for it. I have a lot of joint pain, including back, but it is so gentle to start that I have found it a lot better on my joints than I expected.
As you will see from above, I cannot say I am enjoying it, but I am amazed that I am doing it. I am now on week 3 and keeping up!

The podcast talks to you and you play your own music via a playlist from iTunes. When the podcast speaks, it dips the volume on your music.

MrsMook Tue 12-May-15 08:26:24

I used the Nhs version which has its own music, which although is cheesy, is set to an appropriate rhythm which helped me to slow down and stop burning out.

I found it hard throughout, but the progress is obvious, knackered after 60s then 90s then 3 mins, then 8...

Exercise doesn't get easier, you just achieve more with the same effort grin

AliaMairns Wed 13-May-15 19:09:14

I just did my first session smilesmile app cut off whenever I tried to choose a playlist though which is annoying

AliaMairns Sat 16-May-15 08:17:31

Just looked back on my other post - what a fool I was!

I was so pumped at completing my first day that, despite stretching thoroughly and despite Laura telling me I needed a rest day, I did the second session the next day confusedconfusedconfused

I am an idiot and can barely walk today hmm

Tinwe Sun 17-May-15 11:49:56

Hi can I join you? I'm looking for a c25k run buddy. I'm about to start week 2 tomorrow. I've done it before about 2 years ago but life stopped me running shortly after I completed it and I've not exercised since.

AliaMairns Mon 18-May-15 12:31:37

Hi Tinwe, I completed my third stage of week one yesterday and will likely do Week 2, Run 1 on Wednesday if I cant fit it in Tuesday so we are at a similar stage!

Tinwe Tue 19-May-15 07:21:52

Hi Alia!

How are you finding it so far? I did W2R1 yesterday and although it was a little harder each run I was happy there were only 6 runs, not 8. It seemed to go on forever in week 1! ��

Tinwe Tue 19-May-15 07:26:37

Which app are you using Alia? I started with the NHS one but you had to use their music which I hated. It might have changed since I last looked (2 years ago) but you couldn't use your own music. I use "get running" which is similar, quite basic but you play your own music and it interjects with a few supportive phrases and instructions. I think I paid a little for it but it was worth it.

AliaMairns Tue 19-May-15 08:28:08

Hi! I like the idea of there being less runs - are they 90 seconds each now? Im actually enjoying it (surprisingly) and feeling a great Sense of achievement! How are you finding it?

I think I'm using the NHS one ( the change for life app) I've finally figured out how to listen to my own music because the app kept crashing when I tried before confused I may have to look into get running though smile

Tinwe Tue 19-May-15 17:28:13

Alia - I do feel like I'm tackling a problem and achieving something but I'm eager to lose weight which isn't happening yet. My fault entirely as I've been "treating myself" for sticking at the running and being stuck in with a poorly 4 year old and boisterous toddler for a week confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now