Advanced search

Cycling regularly - no weight loss yet

(9 Posts)
PorridgeIsYummy Mon 09-Feb-15 08:29:04

Hi, I've posted here before about how I've been commuting to work on my bike 5 days a week since mid october. It's been a revelation in the sense that it's the first time ever that I do any regular sport and I love it for many reasons. I'm doing it to increase my fitness level, most of all, and I also love it for the way it lifts my mood.

I was also hoping to lose some weight, but haven't do far - in fact, I've out a couple if pounds on! I'm not eating more than before, just the same. I'm definitely more toned and I'm very pleased about that, but wonder whether the weight will come off eventually or if I should combine this with a mild diet.

My commute is 25 mins each way and it's of moderate intensity. Thanks!

Elliptic5 Mon 09-Feb-15 08:53:57

I started cycling (weekends) at the end of last year, also spin and hydrospin. I didn't notice any weight loss, and also seemed to put on a couple of pounds, but my shape and muscle tone improved. I've now added swimming once a week and I have started to lose weight, don't know if that's coincidence or just everything coming together. I'm not really overweight though and I've also found since starting to exercise that I'm not eating so many sweet things and feel as if my body wants healthier foods.

Sorry, that probably didn't help at all - just some observations.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 09-Feb-15 16:43:42

well done for sticking to it Porridge, dont forget that lean tissue is nearly twice as dense as fat so you can have a bit more muscle tissue and lower body fat yet still be the same weight.

It sounds as if your body composition has improved smile

I think that slow steady change is often the best way but if you did want to make a bit more difference you could add in a little more exercise and make a few adjustments to your diet?

SummerLightning Mon 09-Feb-15 17:03:47

well guessing that 50 mins cycling (per day) is about 400 cals * 5, that's 2000 cals per week
You need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound of weight so assuming you are eating the same as before you would expect to lose about 1/2 a pound a week.
Given you have had Xmas between then and now, and maybe you have been eating a bit more than normal (making assumptions based on my winter eating habits here!) so maybe you will start to see an effect soon?
Having said that I never really lose weight unless I make a bit of an effort with diet rather than just exercise - maybe try cutting down for a couple of weeks and see if it starts to come off?

Suzannewithaplan Mon 09-Feb-15 17:22:44

in my experience calorie burn for 50 minutes cycling would be 200-300 calories.

It varies depending on wind speed/direction, incline and cycling speed.

How far is your commute Porridge and is it hilly or flat?

PorridgeIsYummy Wed 11-Feb-15 07:29:30

Hi, thanks everyone. To be honest, I'm not overweight to the losing weight issue is not as important to me as the fitness and mood enhancing element of cycling. But I would like to lose, maybe, half a stone before summer? It's not a lot and I was hoping to achieve it through cycling only, but as the weight has not decreased yet I think I might have to cut down on a few things. Maybe my daily cappuccino? I do love it, though - I eat no processed foods or sugary snacks at all.

PorridgeIsYummy Wed 11-Feb-15 07:30:16

My cappuccino is my only treat, should it go?

Suzannewithaplan Wed 11-Feb-15 09:07:49

I don't think that the cappuccino necessarily has to go, I'd suggest logging all your food intake in myfitnesspal and looking at where you could decrease a little ‎

Foolonahill Fri 13-Feb-15 09:17:34

It all depends on intensity. i burn around 500 cals an hour on the road bike and nearly 700 on the spin bike. There are calculators where you put in your weight, the weight of the bike, time and distance or mph which tell you your calorie burn if you google

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now