Talk

Advanced search

How did you get your motivation back?

(11 Posts)
CQ Tue 03-Feb-15 08:39:55

I'm really struggling here. A year ago I was doing loads of running, lost 26lbs thanks to LC Bootcamp and ensuing LC living. Prior to that I've done half marathons and triathlons and been fitter in my forties than ever before.

Last summer my knee started giving me problems and I had to back off the running. Lots of physio treatments, pilates and stopping running have now just about sorted my knees out so I am physically ready to start exercising again.

But I just cannot get started.

I have put back on 20 of the 26 lbs I lost. I can't walk through the kitchen without eating something. I am a SAHM and currently training for a new volunteer job which will get me out of the house for a couple of days a week.

I have two dogs that get a good walk every day. I have a gym membership that is being totally wasted.

I know what I need to do. I just can't get started.

Feeling completely demotivated and loathing myself right now. I signed up for the latest LC Bootcamp and failed on about day 3. sad

Please give me your tips for how to avoid the bread bin and get back after it.

26Point2Miles Tue 03-Feb-15 09:11:18

Well for a start I got the much coveted 'you're in' magazine from London marathon.... From the long forgotten ballot I'd entered months previously! But of a shock that was!

I also lost 5 stone few years back low carbing

In your situation I would start that up again. Ask at the gym for advice with an exercise programme? Spring isn't far off.... Summer bodies are designed in the winter, it's not too late to start

Suzannewithaplan Tue 03-Feb-15 09:17:36

‎It can be done smile
There is a way!
Set yourself a small but achievable exercise goal‎ and then gradually build up the goals, don't worry about the amount you do, just focus on getting back into the habit.
Turning things around so that you feel positive and able to take control.
Re eating perhaps avoiding having certain overly tempting or 'trigger' foods in the house?‎

CQ Tue 03-Feb-15 12:14:41

Oh lord 26 that would indeed be a kick up the arse! I got a place years ago through work when it was the Flora London Marathon. Luckily I got pregnant halfway through training. I do admire anyone who can train for a spring marathon - how you get out in this weather and train is beyond me.

The weather isn't helping, but I am tempted to get a couple of sessions with a PT at the gym, just to make myself get the kit on and go there for the appointment.

I think maybe I've turned a corner just by posting this and facing up to it. I've just done some of the physio exercises for my leg/knee strengthening and day 1 of the 30 day plank challenge. Only had to hold a plank for 20 seconds. I was wobbling by the end of that, and I used to be able to out-plank everyone I knew. Grrrrr.

Suzanne I need a plan! I've got rid of all biscuits, cakes, crisps, etc, Christmas chocolates went to the food bank. Bread is my weakness, and since the kids have it for breakfast I can't empty the house of that too.

So far today I've had a slice of toast, Greek yoghurt & berries and a roast chicken thigh. I have now tied up the bread bag and put it away in the cupboard, and the butter in the fridge, so it will be harder to grab and snack.

Mitchy1nge Tue 03-Feb-15 12:25:44

what did you LOVE doing? what was your absolute favourite thing? can you recall any hugely satsifying bits of progress - with weights? distance/pace improvements when running? was there a class that used to leave you buzzing - spin? did you feel awesome after swimming a few lengths? a yoga class?

I'd start with one of those memories or previously loved activities

AFingerofFudge Tue 03-Feb-15 12:30:07

I would second watch mitchy said - finding something that really gives you a buzz exercise wise - that has helped me.

Mitchy1nge Tue 03-Feb-15 12:36:00

or maybe try something new, that you've always had a deep down interest in - climbing? fencing? sailing? skating?

I don't think I could 'work out' from a sense of obligation alone, I need intrinsic pleasure and purpose too

Suzannewithaplan Tue 03-Feb-15 14:42:57

you will soon be out planking everyone again, just a bit of time to build up to it!

I find that logging all food on myfitnesspal helps to keep food intake at the appropriate level.

If bread is a trigger food could you avoid it all together, or is the problem more what you have with the bread?

26Point2Miles Tue 03-Feb-15 15:18:51

30 day plank challenge!! Pinterest have loads

loveableshoulder Sat 07-Feb-15 06:36:06

I enter races to keep motivation up. Perhaps begin with a 5k? Race for life?

ishouldcocoa Sat 07-Feb-15 06:41:30

Put bread in freezer and take out slices as and when you need them?

Sorry. Not into running, but book myself into classes at the local gym. I have to pay for them in advance, so feel duty bound to pitch up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: