Talk

Advanced search

What do I wear to the gym?

(8 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Mon 02-Feb-15 22:24:06

Bitten the bullet and joined a gym.. But I'm terrified! (Haven't worn my trainers for about 4 years!)

Can I just wear jogging bottoms and a t shirt?

While looking around I saw a lot of fit people and a lot of fitted Lycra, but I really can't wear that! grin

Littlepumpkinpie Mon 02-Feb-15 23:14:00

You will be a lot cooler in gym wear like what you saw people wearing. Nike drifit or adidas clima cool wick the sweat away from your skin while your training. This makes it a whole lot more comfortable believe me.

Elliptic5 Tue 03-Feb-15 17:47:57

I really agree about the right gym wear, I started off doing spin in an ordinary vest top and got uncomfortably hot and wet, and then cold and wet. I've bought some sweat wicking stuff and it's so much better doesn't make the spin class any easier tho' grin .

NorbertDentressangle Tue 03-Feb-15 17:51:14

Agree that you should go for the gym wear as it's cooler and easier.

(and don't worry.... people of all shapes, ages and sizes wear it, not just the slim, young fit ones!)

juneau Tue 03-Feb-15 17:54:21

I agree - cotton is horrible and gets all damp and sweaty and clingy. Much better to invest in a couple of fast-wicking tops and some proper lycra gym pants. They don't have to be skin-tight or expensive - M&S do gym wear, as do Sainsbury's and I'm sure many other high street shops and supermarkets.

IvanOsokin Tue 03-Feb-15 17:58:43

As others have said, proper gym wear is so much more comfortable and easier to move in.

I use Karrimor from Sports Direct - cheap, comfy and they often have extra discounts on it.

BoBoo Tue 03-Feb-15 21:09:31

Well done Georgie.

I'm going to go against the grain and say you can totally wear jogging bottoms and a tshirt. If you're just starting out I would say it's important to wear something that's comfortable and you don't feel self conscious in. You can build up to spending some money on gym clothes when you're more confident you're going to keep it up.

I would also second Sports Direct (the stuff in the sale is silly prices) and TK Maxx. Doesn't need to be tight fitting - I just bought a really flattering tshirt in wicking material.

I once saw a woman using the equipment in the gym in a polo neck and loafers.

beanandspud Tue 03-Feb-15 21:51:26

I tend to agree with other posters that baggy joggers and a t-shirt aren't particularly comfortable once you are hot and sweaty.

I just bought some gym bottoms from Sainsbury's which are comfortable but not skin tight. Have a look as well at places like Go Outdoors that have cheap t-shirts made of wicking fabric in their walking section if you want a looser fit.

Be aware as well that if you are planning to do anything like classes or a PT session where you might not be upright a top that's a little tighter stops you exposing your tummy and bra when your t-shirt ends up round your ears!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: