Talk

Advanced search

Do you wash your running gear after every run?

(38 Posts)
cheapandcheerful Sun 01-Feb-15 08:25:08

Sorry for the random thread but I'm interested.
I think I need to invest in another set as I'm finding it difficult to turn the laundry around in time...

Handsupbabyhandsup Sun 01-Feb-15 08:26:36

Yes I wash my exercise gear after every use. I have quite a collection to keep up!

PurpleWithRed Sun 01-Feb-15 08:30:21

Yes for top half, maybe for bottom half. I have two of everything.

CoffeeBucks Sun 01-Feb-15 08:43:42

It depends. If running outside I am usually sweater & muddier so was straight away. If at the gym, I change as soon as I get home & air my kit on a coat hanger or over the radiator then give it a sniff & see if it will go another day. At this time of year, my hi-viz leggings & top usually go more than one wear as they wouldn't be clean in time for the next session.

Reading that back compared to others, I wonder if I'm a bit grotty!

It's definitely worth having a selection of exercise gear if you're committed.

RudyMentary Sun 01-Feb-15 08:46:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTDibbler Sun 01-Feb-15 08:56:13

Yes, mine is soaked in sweat. Only exception is my cycling jacket and if I was wearing some kind of jacket running as they aren't as minging.

I have three winter running sets (all courtesy of Sports Direct, am particularly happy with the Hind running tops), two swimming cossies (again SD at £6.99), but only one set of winter bib tights for cycling, but it works out OK as I try not to do anything more than 2 days in a row

AggressiveBunting Sun 01-Feb-15 12:41:12

Yes but I sweat quite heavily ( long runs and live in a warmer climate). My Salomon hydration jacket is utterly minging as a result.

familygermsareok Tue 03-Feb-15 19:46:35

No, depends if smelly and when washing machine planned! In colder weather I don't sweat that much, even on longer runs (10+ miles even). I don't have many winter tops and am quite precious about which I like to wear in what weather, eg warmest for sleet/snow, another not quite as warm but has pockets for gloves / headband if I want to take off. Unless definitely smelly I will leave these on floor till either used again or till next wash next goes on.
Have loads of short sleeve tops for summer and wash these every time because I can.
Usually wash tights after all but the shortest runs as I find they get sticky in crotch area ( sorry if TMI blush )
Always wash socks.

yomellamoHelly Tue 03-Feb-15 19:49:16

Yes. (But my pelvic floor is still not what it ought to be and I try to really push myself every other day.)

Doyouthinktheysaurus Tue 03-Feb-15 19:52:36

Yes, after every run.

I've got loads of running gear though, accumulated over a number of years.

StrikesMatches Tue 03-Feb-15 20:17:23

Erm, no. I don't sweat very much or run very far so I air my gear over the bannister and wear again, then chuck in a freshen up wash. I don't re-wear if I'm going to a class though, only when I'm out in the fresh air!

DramaAlpaca Tue 03-Feb-15 20:20:16

Yes, because running turns me into a sweaty mess.

I have two running bras and lots of gear so it's not a problem.

Madamecastafiore Tue 03-Feb-15 20:21:15

Yes but I have more gym gear than regular clothes.

RoadRunner123 Tue 03-Feb-15 20:25:01

Isn't Mumsnet great for some honest answers!

I tend to use everything for two runs, then wash. I've only really got one bra I like though so that's a bit tricky. The label is washed away so I can't see what size it was to get another the same!

BaronessBomburst Tue 03-Feb-15 20:29:01

Yes. Or rather DH runs in it and I wash it.
I can turn it around in an hour and a half as it all goes in the dryer on low. Even without the dryer it dries within a few hours.
What are you running in?

itsveryyou Tue 03-Feb-15 20:31:45

Absolutely, after an hour's running or gym class, I am not fit for human company in terms of sogginess/sweating; thankfully my friends understand! I've been reliably informed by my gym instructors that soaking in white vinegar and cold water before washing makes a real difference in terms of shifting the long-term effects of sweat on gym clothes :0)

JennyOnTheBlocks Tue 03-Feb-15 20:33:11

yes

it only needs a quick wash, and dries really quickly afterwards, but wouldn't feel right wearing it a second time around

AggressiveBunting Wed 04-Feb-15 01:29:58

When I was a student I used to row. The washing machine cost 60p a go so there was no way it was being used more than necessary. I used to come home from rowing and just hang my kit over the radiator to dry out and rewear for a week (6 outings). By the end it could stand up on its own. My house was full of rowers so it just stank. We were so skanky.

EdithDickie Wed 04-Feb-15 09:15:19

No - especially bra as I only have one. I don't think I stink (pretty sure dh would be honest) so wash bra after every 3ish wears and other stuff every couple of times. I do always run in the fresh air, more often than not alone, and I always change immediately afterwards (so I'm not hanging out in sweaty stuff).

mabelbabel Wed 04-Feb-15 09:28:37

Yes, absolutely. Goes in a quick wash, dries really quickly. We put washing on pretty much every day, so it's no extra bother.

The only exception is my cycling stuff for work. I wear bottoms for a few days, and tops for 1-2 days depending on the weather etc. But I change as soon as I get to the end of my cycle (at work, and then at home).

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Wed 04-Feb-15 09:28:51

yes.

It takes no time at all to wash and dry due to the material.

Ive never considered not to TBH.

ImBrian Wed 04-Feb-15 10:46:01

Tops and sports bra yes because they stink, bottoms not always but if I'm doing the tops I may as well chuck them in.

annabanana19 Thu 05-Feb-15 07:15:48

Yes. I sweat a lot. And I've had 3 kids so my pelvic floor isn't what is used to be.

Naicecuppatea Fri 06-Feb-15 18:38:47

Absolutely. I sweat if I run any distance. I could not put sweaty clothes back on. The only thing I don't wash every time is my jacket which comes off halfway through the run and goes around my waist.

meglet Fri 06-Feb-15 18:49:48

no. Unless it's muddy I can eek out my outdoor running kit over a couple of runs.

I wash my gym kit after every use though. It's in closer contact with other people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: