Talk

Advanced search

need help please - gym programme

(3 Posts)
banananugget Sat 31-Jan-15 19:37:34

Hi mners I am after some advice please. My DD is going to a kids club tomorrow for an hour so I am going to go to the gym. I have no idea what to do! I'm looking to lose weight and am going to start c25k soon. I have some back/hip problems but generally these days I'm ok.

I am thinking of the cross trainer, bike and treadmill? I would need a proper induction before I go near any weights etc so am wanting to stick to cardio machines. Is the fat burning setting the best one?

I am definitely going to book in a session with a trainer when I get slightly more confidence but need a little bit of initial support please!

Thank you smile

pickles184 Sat 31-Jan-15 19:49:37

I would recommend the personal trainer sooner rather than later, even if it is a 30min induction so that they can show you the correct form for some free weight/bodyweight exercises. Cardio is great and will help burn the calories, but it will be most effective combined with conditioning exercises iyswim.
If you really want to just get in and go tomorrow then here is what I did in my return to fitness if it helps;
The cross trainer is a nice way to warm up, I did 5 mins at level 3-5 gets whole body moving.
I then hit the rowing machine for 1000m 30 seconds maximum effort, 30 seconds recovery (slowed pace, but still moving)
-I then did 10 squats
10 bent over rows 20kg
10 box steps 2 x 5kg weights
10 press ups
10 sit ups
repeating the circuit 3 times -
Used the stepper moving up 1 level each minute to exhaustion (usually 8-10mins)
Cool down on the sit down bike, 5 mins medium effort and then the cool down setting
10 mins stretching to finish
It would work without the internal circuit if you aren't confident with them, maybe use the treadmill?

banananugget Sat 31-Jan-15 22:03:39

Thank you so much for your reply. I will see how I get on! I will talk to them tomorrow and see if I can book a proper induction. I am interested in some of the classes but am worried it will be too much because I'm so unfit! Will ask fit advice about classes tomorrow too.

Thanks once again grin hopefully I will survive lol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: