Talk

Advanced search

What's the best exercise DVD I can buy?

(11 Posts)
HoneyIsBeePoo Wed 28-Jan-15 15:41:42

I saw Davina McCall has a new workout DVD with 7-minute workouts. Does anyone know if that's good?

Or do I have to do the dreaded shred? Think I am much more likely to do 7 minutes than 30!

Who has a really good DVD? Disclaimer: am mega unfit grin

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Wed 28-Jan-15 17:45:24

I have to say, for me, it's the Shred all the way! I was seriously overweight and seriously unfit and now I'm just a little bit overweight. It totally works!

HoneyIsBeePoo Wed 28-Jan-15 18:20:30

But it scares me! grin

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Wed 28-Jan-15 18:21:47

And so it should grin

sillymillyb Wed 28-Jan-15 18:27:16

I started the shred on monday. She is a mean, mean lady but it works and I just keep telling myself that I can do 20 mins. It's broken down in 30 second chunks too, so no matter how much I think im going to pee myself doing jumping jacks I know I can make it through!

Showy Wed 28-Jan-15 18:29:22

No point getting something you've already decided is insurmountable. Nah, go for Davina. There are 10 7 minute workouts and they fly by. So you could do 4 different ones in the time it takes you to Shred. Or just do 2 and still get a decent workout. Or just one if you really don't have time. You can choose to rest one muscle group and pound another. There are hundreds of combinations, Davina and Ed are pretty lovely and it is based on the same training technique as 30 Day Shred (High Intensity Interval Training). You can do the Shred for 30 days and it's a good kick start but then you're looking for something else. Ed Lumsden (Davina's trainer) posts combination challenges on Twitter and his FB page if you want inspiration and if you buy the DVD you get free membership of Davina's new website and a personalised programme.

Showy Wed 28-Jan-15 18:31:43

I love Jillian btw. I like 6W6P the most and have just started Body Revolution. She's brilliant and sensible and gets results. But so is Davina and it sounds like right now you want to feel inspired, not demoralised and like it's all too much. Start with Davina. Buy the Shred in a month's time.

Mrsteddyruxpin Wed 28-Jan-15 18:36:00

I am seven weeks post c section but badly need to do something? is the shred too harsh?

HoneyIsBeePoo Wed 28-Jan-15 18:57:00

Showy that's really thoughtful advice, thank you. smile

Showy Wed 28-Jan-15 22:17:24

Mrsteddyruxpin, you are advised to wait until 12 weeks post cs to do anything serious like the Shred. In the meantime, there's no reason why you can't start some light exercise. Walking more, maybe swimming if you're all healed up, getting out of breath and increasing endurance/stamina is all good. I was very bad and was back running at 9 weeks but I'd never advise that. I actually managed to re-start my bleeding and pull the scar slightly so that it tore. They say 12 weeks for a reason.

What I will advise is that you absolutely make sure your abdominal muscles are together before you start. After my second I had a diastasis recti (abdominal separation) and working out, particularly doing core work like sit-ups, will make this WORSE which can cause long term problems. You can check for this yourself. There are videos on YouTube of how to do it. Here for example. If you do have any separation, there are lots of videos showing ways of starting to close this before you start any kind of workout programme. It will benefit you in the long run.

Ultimately, Jillian's DVDs are effective and manageable. I'd recommend any of Davina's too.

The website Fitness Blender was recommended on here the other day and I really like it, but it isn't so good on explaining form and how to do exercise correctly and I'd only do it if you know what you're doing eg how to do a squat which won't strain your back or a lunge which won't damage your knees. Otherwise, Jillian or Davina would see you right.

Unidentifieditem Mon 16-Feb-15 16:51:35

If you want to sample Jillian michaels, loads of her workouts are on YouTube- so don't spend £££ without checking them out smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: