Talk

Advanced search

Running is *my* exercise, but....

(29 Posts)
Naicecuppatea Mon 26-Jan-15 10:01:31

....will it negatively affect my face? I love running and after a year's break went for a run yesterday and it felt fantastic. I would like to get back into it again and lose half a stone of excess weight in the process.

I am worried about my face 'dropping' though, I have seen this in more than a few runners, could it be the pounding of the pavements and the gravity effect? As I'm approaching my 40th, I really would like to avoid this!

Please reassure me I'm being daft.

PurpleWithRed Mon 26-Jan-15 10:03:07

Running causing your face to drop? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

26Point2Miles Mon 26-Jan-15 10:09:29

Lol I don't think it drops that much!

merrymouse Mon 26-Jan-15 10:11:23

I think it's age that causes faces to drop, not running.

Dafspunk Mon 26-Jan-15 10:11:35

But the only way you could know this is if you compared the same person's face had they spent the last year (or whatever) running and not running. Therefore, YAB daft.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 26-Jan-15 10:11:52

Having a v low fat percentage makes for a less youthful face. Having subcutaneous fat under all your skin is a gender indication, and a sign of youth. I don't think running is the specific cause.

Naicecuppatea Mon 26-Jan-15 10:12:05

Phew smile

MajesticWhine Mon 26-Jan-15 10:15:46

I ran to the cake shop once... and my face is just fine. So don't worry grin

Naicecuppatea Mon 26-Jan-15 10:17:43

Love it majestic grin

treaclesoda Mon 26-Jan-15 10:21:24

This reminds me of the 'face bra' from Ally McBeal, if anyone remembers it. Trying to find a clip on you Tube but I can only find full episodes!

merrymouse Mon 26-Jan-15 10:22:37

So the verdict is that there is no evidence that running causes face drop, but in order to maintain reserves of subcutaneous fat you must ensure that you get enough cake. grin

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 26-Jan-15 10:26:32

Yeah you need a reeeeeeally tight balaclava. That'll sort it.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Mon 26-Jan-15 10:27:51

Face bra

Naicecuppatea Mon 26-Jan-15 10:32:09

Bahaha! I vaguely remember that episode too. I might improvise next time I go out with some bandages.

OverAndAbove Mon 26-Jan-15 10:35:40

I immediately thought of Elaine and the face bra. I didn't need one at the time but I bet I do now!

meglet Mon 26-Jan-15 10:36:44

treacle I remember Elaines face bra grin .

Suzannewithaplan Mon 26-Jan-15 10:54:50

Do runners faces look older than their years?
Or is it just that their bodies look younger and so you get a bit of a surprise to see that the 25 year old body actually belongs to a 55 year old?

I doubt that running is intrinsically ageing, perhaps it's down to increased UV exposure from running outdoors.
Isn't sun exposure the primary external cause of skin ageing? ‎

Suzannewithaplan Mon 26-Jan-15 10:57:31

also I think most of the impact forces would be absorbed by the legs and trunk

FamilyAdventure Mon 26-Jan-15 11:03:11

I think Suzanne has it.

I belong to a running club where we have several members in thier 60s and 70s. From behind, from their figures and the way they move, you'd imagine they were all 40ish, so yes when you see their face it does look older than you expect, but not older than they are.

Running has definitely kept them young in their outlook and energy levels.

Mitchy1nge Mon 26-Jan-15 11:05:18

well I look like Gollum, in drag (the knitwear edition at this time of year) so you could be on to something OP

TSSDNCOP Mon 26-Jan-15 11:08:38

It's not that I look old when I run, more that I look stricken.

I try to avoid it.

ThursdayLast Mon 26-Jan-15 11:11:28

I run for fun and fitness not for weightloss.
Therefore I eat a lot cake

I can assure my face is as full as it ever has been grin

merrymouse Mon 26-Jan-15 12:05:24

There are lots of books about running and there are lots of books about cake, but are there any books about running and cake???

I think there is a potential publishing opportunity there.

MajesticWhine Mon 26-Jan-15 13:59:59

I once got a really nice banana cake recipe out of DH's Runners World magazine. True fact. cake

feetheart Wed 28-Jan-15 09:15:17

I bet cake gets a mention in the parkrun book smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: