Talk

Advanced search

help with shin splints please

(14 Posts)
firefly78 Sun 25-Jan-15 22:43:39

im in absolutely agony. started running again after a break of a few months. can hardly walk today. i went out twice last week. only very short distances. ive got a foam roller which ive used today which helps a bit.

am just gutted. i love running and really want to get back into it. anyone got any advice?

PiesnThighs Mon 26-Jan-15 21:50:40

For me, shin splints mean it's time for new trainers, as they're no longer giving me the right support.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Mon 26-Jan-15 21:51:57

You need to give yourself a couple weeks off, before starting again gently and perhaps with new trainers. Hope you feel better soon!

AnythingNotEverything Mon 26-Jan-15 21:53:37

I found calf dips on the bottom step helped too, but rest is vital.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Mon 26-Jan-15 22:14:48

Ice, ice, ice, ice, ice. Get a paper coffe cup, fill it with water, freeze. Rip the top of the cup off when it's frozen so you have an ice stick and then rub that ice block into the shins. It hurts but it works. Do it for a few minutes as often as you can. Stretch your calves, hang feet off a step edge. Run with calve sleeves to reduce the jostling of muscle on the bone. Do a load of anterior tin exercises. Sit in a chair with knees at a 90 degree angle. Start toe tapping. Keep lifting those toes up and down till you hit fatigue - it does happen! Keep going as long as you can bear. Repeat :-)

Pleaseputyourshoeson Mon 26-Jan-15 22:15:22

Tibial is not tin!

AnythingNotEverything Mon 26-Jan-15 22:32:47

Oh, and I've baths helped too. You need to be fully clothes from the waist up and drinking a hot cup of tea to make that bearable though.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 27-Jan-15 00:00:14

Sorry, ice baths.

fascicle Tue 27-Jan-15 11:16:27

Number of possible contributing factors, including:

Biomechanical issues (e.g. being flat footed; leg length discrepancy)
Shoe issues
Running form/gait
Surface and camber
Doing too much too soon

I got shin splints a few years back. I think all of the above may have had an impact. With the help of a sports/gait/footcare person, I got custom made insoles, changed my footwear, changed my running style, did some core exercises which, amongst other things, helped engage the quads more and change the way I planted my feet, built my running up slowly, and used different surfaces (more even grassy surfaces, fewer unkind cambered pavements).

Lagoonablue Tue 27-Jan-15 14:23:59

Ooh this is useful. I only started running recently. Did a very gentle 2 weeks of c25k then had to stop! Knees, shins and back of legs so sore. Assuming shin splints and lack of use. I could hardly walk! My ankle is now sore too but that's due to an old injury. I am cycling instead at the moment but am waiting til Monday and starting again. Going to run on grass this time. Twice round the park!

Is gait analysis necessary? Even for novices who only do short distances.

firefly78 Tue 27-Jan-15 23:53:13

Thanks everyone. are calf sleeves similar to compression socks?

firefly78 Tue 27-Jan-15 23:54:05

how would i go about getting custom made insoles?

fascicle Wed 28-Jan-15 11:29:58

My custom made insoles came via a recommendation from a running shop. Running clubs might also be able to recommend someone. My insoles are made from a hard plastic material and weren't cheap (about £250), but I have had them for about 6 or 7 years now and they still seem fine. Have you had your gait checked?

firefly78 Fri 30-Jan-15 00:28:57

i got some insoles from my running shop today so will see how i get on with those.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: