Advanced search

Can someone help me with weights please?

(12 Posts)
JaneFonda Sat 17-Jan-15 19:05:19

I go to the gym and do plenty of cardio, but I know to really tone up I need to do weights - the only problem is I don't know what to do! The weights section at my gym is completely filled with massive men and I feel quite intimidated and embarrassed.

Can I ask what weights and exercises you do?

I also have some little weights at home - a pair of 1.5kg and a pair of 3kg, so if there's anything I could do with those that would make a difference that would be great.

Please, someone tell me what to do! Thanks a lot grin

Jumblebee Sat 17-Jan-15 19:15:25

Can you ask at your gym for an induction for the weights? If you use them it's important to know exactly how! I used to hate using the weights at my old gym, was full of said beefy men who made me feel like I was doing everything wrong hmm

I have weights at home (no longer used anymore because I am no longer fit confused) and I just youtubed basic arm weight work outs and made my own little routine. I got on to the heaviest weights and it was only really then that I started to get a little bit of muscle.

Good luck smile

Jumblebee Sat 17-Jan-15 19:17:41

Something like this? I can't find the videos that I used but this looks pretty good?

sleepwhenidie Sat 17-Jan-15 19:21:41

Best thing is to get a PT, even if just for 1 or 2 sessions or so to introduce you to the free weights section and show you proper technique. Proper weight training is phenomenal for changing your body but good form is essential to prevent injury. Ask him/her to show you a good range of compound exercises (these give you much better 'bang for your buck' using multiple muscle groups, as opposed to things like bicep curls that isolate specific muscles) to get started smile.

GoofyIsACow Sat 17-Jan-15 19:25:47

Does your gym do classes?
I love Body Pump and Kettlercise, both have enabled me to be more confident doing weights on my own on the days when i don't do the classes

Primadonnagirl Sat 17-Jan-15 19:38:39

You need a whole body routine..just google it. Ideally someone would need to assess your weight/ frame but you are unlikely to get results using so light weights as you mention. You need to do sets of bicep and tricep curls, squats, etc.. It's really hard to explain verbally...there's loads of books on strength building weight routines. You need to intersperse it proper,y with cardio and don't work the same muscle groups on consecutive visits ie do legs one day, arms the best, chest and back the next etc, with cardio as well

actiongirl1978 Sat 17-Jan-15 20:22:27

I second the PT idea, I also had no idea about weights, I now have a couple of programmes I can do, though next week I need to venture into the weights room with the scary men to use the barbells and so I understand how intimidating it could be.

I would suggest doing it in a gym environment as we'll not at home. At the gym you can always ask someone to check your form or use the mirrors and you can use some of the equipment for support such as the fitball or the benches.

grumblepuss Sat 17-Jan-15 21:46:18

Do you do things like squats and lunges?
You can start with body weight stuff, squats, lunges, planks, push ups, then make them more difficult with weights/positions?
Most gyms I've been to have a blokey weights bit, then a less scary kettle bell/ barbells etc with the mats.

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 17-Jan-15 21:51:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JaneFonda Sat 17-Jan-15 22:26:18

Thanks all for the advice, I really appreciate your responses! I'll definitely see if there's a PT or someone I can ask for help - it's just a bit embarrassing, but I do just need to get over it!

I use the piddly weights when I'm doing the Shred, they don't seem so piddly towards the end! grin

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 17-Jan-15 22:27:44

I'd buy the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great place to start. Once you get into it, you'll never look back.

Littlepumpkinpie Mon 19-Jan-15 16:43:10

Please get a instructor to show you proper form ect, do not be put off by the big guys in the weights areas half of them do bad form anyways. None take any notice of us women in thier honestly. I lift heavy more than some guys but I am not massive. I do barbell squats lunges and occasionally catch guys looking at my backside �� no more than they would if I was stood at another type of bar ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now